24: One Calm Moment

Mirrin's POV

Although I was just a little bit disappointed that Seungcheol wanted threw away the bandana that marked our promise, it ended well yesterday. We promised to treat each other like friends. And despite the feelings that seem to bubble up every time I'm near him, I think that's fine. It will fade away with time. It's probably from the fact that we knew each other from before, a sense of familiarity. Although I think I would've expected more than this a few weeks ago, I think being friends is a good start.

I talked to Minghao too, and he said to forget about what happened. If that's what he wants, I can do that. It might be a bit awkward, but I don't want to lose my best friend to something as petty as that. I'm a little worried about him though. 

All those hidden feelings were laid bare— at least, I hope they were. And that's the first step to reconciliation. And for that I have to thank Joshua and Wonwoo for being the mediators this time. 

And today morning, I woke up with a smile on my face, now  that the weight in my heart has been lifted. The appearance of me caused so much trouble to all of them...so...Isn't it time I do something for them? 

.

.

.

"It's time to go! Kaja~" Jeonghan and Dino pulled at my arms each as I struggled to slip into my flip flops on the way out the door. 

Even Wonwoo, Seungcheol, and Joshua were grinning like little boys. 

"Beaaaach!!!!!" Jun started yelling. That alien. He's such a random kid I swear. 

Only one boy stayed far behind the back of the pack, putting on a weak smile. Minghao.

"Go on and walk to the bus stop first okay?" I eased my arms out of their clingy grips and nodded Jeonghan and Dino ahead. 

"Ehhhh?? Why the bus? Public transport?" Seungkwan and Hoshi complained, "We have private drivers and a limousine that would fit all of us yah!"

"But isn't this more fun?" I asked, pouting playfully.

"But-" Seungkwan threw back the start of some cringe-worthy aegyo back at me. 

"Listen to the princess boys" Seungcheol came to my side and winked. I paused for a moment before letting out a giggle. Thank goodness he's back to his old self. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Wonwoo look confused before seemingly deciding not to pursue the thought and grinning as Mingyu tackled him and they started to wrestle. 

"It's a kind of experience" Joshua joined in, smiling that beautiful smile as he looked at me for a brief moment, and I felt my heart flutter. 

"Okay okay, shoo shoo~" I laughed, shooing them with my hands.

I walked backwards until I came next to Minghao and waited until the rest were a far way away before I fell into his walking pace. Looking at him, I didn't say much before I grabbed his hand. He looked at me in surprise, but I didn't give him much time to say a word before I pulled him, sprinting back to the group.

We were breathless and laughing by the time we caught up to the boys, and without a word, I think both of us knew that we were okay again. We were still friends. Still best friends who supported each other at the most important part of our adolescence together. I smiled at him as we stepped upon the bus and pulled him to sit next to me. The boys were all chattering behind. 

"Rin? I'm sorr-"

"Don't say sorry, Mingming-ah. No matter what happens you'll always be my best-est friend, arraseo? So you don't have to say sorry for anything."

I watched as his face faded a little before his mouth raised into a slight smile. Was I being too heartless? I just wanted to make things clear. Part of the reason why things became like this was because he wasn't clear with me, and why exactly he...kissed him. Was it just a reckless action in the moment? Or  did he really feel more? 

"Best friend, huh?" 

My head shot up and I stared into his eyes wordlessly. I didn't dare to answer his question.

________________________

Minghao's POV

I watched as her eyes stared into mine, almost afraid to answer my question. 

In this moment I knew how much she cared about how I felt, even if just as a best friend. I felt myself smile genuinely without having to force it, surprisingly. It was moments like this I'd want to share with her, just by her side like this. Maybe I got it all wrong; wasn't this like being her friend? Just us two having fun times like best friends was all I wanted. I could deal with this. Best friends.

It sounded good. 

I laughed. 

"Keurom~ I'll always be your best friend, okay, Rin? That means I get to hog you the most."

She smiled and nodded as I ruffled her hair.

"Ay, ay! Hyung! Who said you get to hog my noona the most?" Dino yelled at us from a seat at the back. I turned back and stuck my tongue out playfully, only to find Rin doing the same. We looked at each other and laughed, falling back to our seats.

"Yah yah, dongsaeng, I second that!" Wonwoo said in a deep, yet uncharacteristically playful voice. 

I turned to face Wonwoo, only to hear fits of giggling coming from Rin beside me when Mingyu widens his eyes and pouts with his puppy dog eyes wide open, stuffing his face in front of Wonwoo for him to see.

"YAHHHHH!!" Woozi hyung yells, his curled up hands held up visibly for everyone to see in his disapproval for the aegyo. 

"Anyway, I dibs sitting next to Rinnie on the way back" Jeonghan hyung grins proudly. 

"Noo! I'm her dongsaeng!" Dino objects.

"No, obviously I get to." Seungcheol interrupts.

"Who said?" Hoshi asks playfully

"I'm the leader!"

"Aish hyung, not that one again!!" Jun yells from the back of the bus.

"I'm the eldest!" 

Everyone sighs exasperatedly, but I can see everyone's faces bright and smiling. Its moments like this I want and love.

I hear Joshua chuckle behind and feel Rin turn behind to smile at him, her eyes obviously starstruck as they start talking and giggling about things. 

Ah..So Rin likes Joshua? I should have seen that earlier. 

Keurae, Rin, although I had a crush on you since middle school, maybe I had mistaken treasuring our friendship for love. It kind of became clear after that reckless kiss that I still want to treat you like a dongsaeng, 我最好的知己 (my best friend and someone who knows me very very well).

Oppa will help you with this one, in return for what I did. 

___________________ 

"Please comment and vote!

RinaYumi <3"