Chapter One

"How much longer, Lexi?" My boyfriend whines.

      I turn around and ask, "You think I enjoy this Carson? I need to get some things for California, I'm sorry."

      He groans again. "Don't remind me you're going."

      "Be happy for me!" I scold, "You're 19, toughen up."

     He smiles and follows me into the next store. I grab a floral dress off of a rack and hold it up.

      "That's cute," Carson says.

     I shake my head. "Too girly."

    "Lexi you have to look girly every now and then. It's adorable."

    "I have Blair to handle the girly stuff." I say, talking about my best friend. Tall, brown-haired, brown-eyed, Blair Huntsmen.

     Carson grabs a short, green, sleeveless dress with a gold belt. "How about this one?" He offers. "It'll match your eyes."

      I touch my face, thinking about my emerald eye color. "I suppose it would." I take it from him. "Nice spot babe, I'll try it."

     I snatch a couple other things on the way and head into the dressing room.

    I pull the green dress over my head and shake out my long red hair. That's pretty attractive, I think.

     "Ready Lexi?" Carson calls.

    "Yup here I come!" I exit, doing a twirl in front of him. "What do you think?"

     "I think that I've only seen you look prettier at prom last Saturday." He says with a grin. "I also think that I cannot allow you to buy it, or at least bring it to Cali."

     I raise an eyebrow. "Oh? And why not?"

    Carson smirks, "Because I cannot have you looking so beautiful for any guy but me."

    I laugh as he pulls me into his arms. "Are we bringing up this old argument about Noir stealing me?" I ask.

     Carson kisses my nose. "Yes."

     I pull away. "He's not gonna steal me, don't worry."

     I go back into the changing room and try on the last few outfits. After making the purchases we head out and climb into Carson's truck.

     "Thank you for coming shopping with me Carson."

     "Oh you're welcome baby girl, I love to hang out with you." He says with a smile.

    We pull up to my house and Carson grabs some of my bags, carrying them to the door. "Hello Mr. Nahorm." He says upon seeing my dad.

    My dad smiles, "Good afternoon Carson." He kisses my head. "Good shopping trip?" He asks me.

    "Yes, thanks for the money Daddy." I say.

    "Anything to make my little girl happy." He says, a twinkle in his eye.

     "I'm going to leave now, Lex, okay?" Carson says, shifting his weight from side to side.

    I walk over to him and glance over my shoulder. "Uh, okay, bye." I hug him, lifting my face to look in his eyes.

    "No kisses in the presence of your father!" My dad barks, and we break apart.