Chapter Twenty-One

Landon is striding up the barn aisle ahead of me. He stops at Lucky's stall and enters. "Come on Lexi, I'll show you how to put his bridle on."

     I enter the stall with Landon and Carson stays out. Landon shows me the right way to hold the bridle, how to slip the bit into his mouth and how to fasten the buckles.

     He helps with the saddle and then steps back to let me lead Lucky out.

     Carson moves aside as I exit. "Alright Lex," he says with a smile. "Let's see you ride."

      I enter the ring. The black mare is there again, jumping large rails. I mount Lucky and walk him around, warming him up. Carson leans on the brown fencing.

     I trot, practicing my posting and balance. I move up to a canter, still rocky but not nearly like the first time I rode.

       I trot up to where Noir is standing inside the ring, leaning on the fence next to Carson. "Can you put some of the rails down lower for me?"

     He nods and marches out, adjusting the red and white crossrails. While he's doing that, Carson reaches across the fence and strokes Lucky. "You jump him, too?"

    I nod proudly. "Yes! Just little jumps, but you have to start somewhere." I lean forward and wrap my arms around  Lucky's neck. "The funny thing is, I never had interest in horses until this week. It's a whole world that I missed out on!"

     Landon comes back and tells me they're set up. I turn Lucky and canter out, sailing easily over the little crossrails.

             Landon starts to talk to Carson. "Your girlfriend is really something else."

    "I know," Carson replies, not taking his eyes off me.

     "She learned incredibly fast. Faster than I thought was humanly possible. This is only her, say, fourth time riding."

     "Mm-hmm." Carson says. I hear Landon's praise as I jump a rail near them. It makes me feel warm inside.

    "She's so impressive I-"

    Carson stops him. "Woah there buddy, I get it. I knew all of this before you even met her."

    Landon turns red. "Am I saying too much?"

    Carson furrows his brow. "Oh no, not you too."

    "Yes, me too." Landon says softly. "But don't worry, I won't do what Noir did. She's yours, and it's clear that no one will be able to take her from you. She's so loyal."

     "If only she was," Carson says quietly, before pasting a smile on his face as I ride up.

    "Well?" I say breathlessly. "What do you think?"

    "I think," Carson replies. "That you're amazing."

    Landon glances at his watch. "I have to leave, but Noir will pick you up and take you back in twenty minutes.

~*~*~

     I untack Lucky and Noir walks in with Pepper. "Ready?"

    We get in the car, me and Carson crammed in the backseat. We pull into the interstate and they blast the latest pop singers.

      We reach traffic and Noir curses. He begins to weave through cars, earning honks and beeps. Pepper laughs.

    We reach one guy who cuts in front of us. Noir curses again. "When I pass him," He says, "Flip him off for me."