Chapter Twenty-Nine

I'm in the dressing room at our wedding venue, freaking out.

We've already been to the hairdresser, so my hair is done.

Already been to the nail salon, nails are done.

Already been to the makeup wing, face is done.

Now I'm standing in front of the mirror, binge eating donuts and panicking.

"Lexi!" Blair says, coming in the door. She looks beautiful in the emerald green bridesmaid dress I had chosen. It was strapless, and flowed down her body in tiers starting at her waist.

"Blair," I say around a mouthful of Boston creme. "I don't think I can go through with this."

"Of course you can," she says calmly. "I thought the same thing on my wedding day." She grabs the donut from my hand and sets it on the vanity. "Let's get you dressed."

She takes my white gown from its rack, and holds it up. I smile at her. She comes over and helps me step into it, buttoning me up the back and clipping my train into a bustle so I don't trip.

She fastens the veil into my hair. "There," Blair says. "Go look."

The person I see in the mirror before me is beautiful. Her hair is swept to the side, with curls gently framing her face. Her veil has lace around the edges and is cathedral style, falling down her back. And it's me. Wow.

My dress is a short sleeved mermaid gown, with lace covering it.

"I-I look beautiful," I whisper.

Blair rests her chin on my shoulder. "Never beautiful- beautiful- beautifuller?" We giggle a little. And then my Dad comes in.

"My daughter will be a stunning bride," he kisses my forehead.

"Dad?" I say. "Can you get Bryce in here? I want to talk to him."

Blair looks confused, "I thought you'd agreed not to do a first look?"

"I'm going to hide behind this door."

Dad nods and leaves. I position myself, sweeping every inch of the dress behind me, so he can't even see a bit of white cloth.

There's a knock on the door. "Is my bride hidden away?"

One of my bridesmaids answers it. "Yes, come in."

I hear Bryce's footsteps, stopping on the other side of my door. "Heard you needed a pick me up."

I sink down to my knees, Blair waving frantically, telling me not to.

"Yes," I say.

The other bridesmaids quietly tiptoe out, Blair staying to make sure Bryce doesn't peek.

"Well, Lexi, how do you look?"

"Beautiful," I say quietly.

"How do you feel?"

"Excited."

"Well you sound ready. Anything else?"

"Sick."

"Oh," he says with a laugh. "Your honesty hasn't gone anywhere."

I hear him sit, and snake my arm around the door. "Lexi," Blair hisses, but I ignore her.

Bryce takes my hand. "I can't wait to see you."

"I can't wait for you to see me."

At a loss for anything else to say, we sit for a few minutes, before Bryce stands and says he wants to double check final preparations. "One hour until go time, my fiancée."