Chapter Twenty-Three

I'm startled awake by a hand on my shoulder. "Miss? You fell asleep. The patient is in need of care, we ask that you leave."

It's a head nurse, but not the one down the hall. I glance at my boyfriend again before nodding and whispering, "Okay."

       I follow her doggedly, realizing she's taking me back to the waiting room. Blair is there with a box next to her, the black kitten in her lap.

    "Where's Nate and Bryce?"

     She looks up. "They didn't like the food in the cafeteria, so they went out to find a fast food place."

    I ease myself next to her. "How long ago did they leave?"

    "About twenty minutes." Her chocolate brown eyes scrutinize my face. "How are you doing?"

    I sigh and scrape a hand through my hair. "I don't know, Blair. It's only been six hours, and I'm totally dry. I don't know how people last longer."

    She looks at me sympathetically. "How did Carson seem?"

     "I can't really tell. He's pale. Lifeless. Hooked up to tons of tubes and wires. I'm not in a place to say if he's good or not."

    I reach over and tickle the kitten under the chin. "Hey little buddy."

    Blair holds the kitten up as it meows pitifully.

     Nate comes up behind Blair, "We're back," he says, kissing her.

   Bryce hands me an iced tea from McDonalds.

    "Here," he says with a wink. "I got you a McTea."

     I stare at the drink. "You forgot a McStraw."

     "Nope, I got one." He hands it to me.

    I glance up, a smirk on my face. "Thanks."

    Despite our slightly cheerful banter, the atmosphere was still glum.

    I sit next to Bryce, sipping my tea. The hours slip by in a fog. Morning turns into early afternoon. At one point he puts an arm around me, and I lean my head on his shoulder, drifting into an uneasy sleep.

~*~*~

     When I wake up, I'm completely disoriented. The lighting outside is strange, and upon further inspection I realize it's almost sunset.

     I continue my inspection and feel confusion growing in me. There's a group of nurses rushing around, whispering and talking and sort of smiling. One spots me awake and comes over.

    "You're here with the boy brought in about fourteen hours ago?"

    Has it been fourteen hours? I glance at my watch. The clock says 6:30 pm. Gracious, it has been fourteen hours!

    "Yes, he's with me."

     She leans forward. "We don't normally permit this, but the head of the hospital said it's okay."

    I scan her face back forth, my eyes darting across her features. "Permit what?"

    She leans even closer to me. "He's asking for you."

    I leap out of my seat, nearly knocking heads with the nurse. "He's awake?" I gasp. "And talking?"

   She nods, her face lighting up at my excitement.

   "Can I see him?"

   She sucks on her teeth, "He's your boyfriend right?"

    I nod.