Chapter Sixteen

"Smell that?" Blair says, "Caramel popcorn!"

      "Yes, Blair. I smell it. And I recognize the smell being popcorn, as you pointed that out last night, and the night before and oh! You know what? You pointed it out the night before that too!" I reply, a smile on my face.

      "I'm sorry! It's just, hmm! I love it!"

      "We can tell," Nate says wryly, holding up a bag. "And that's why I bought you some."

    "Ooh!" Blair squeals, and leans over to kiss him.

      I watch as their lips meet, a pang going through me. Even though Carson and I made up on Tuesday, four days ago, there had been almost no physical contact. He was chatting with me and his behavior was normal, other than the physical contact. I crave it. I miss it.

      "Well, since this double date was your idea, Blair," Carson says, "What do you recommend we do? So far we've walked around smelling food for an hour."

      Blair taps her chin and grins mischievously. "I wanted to do this a couple nights ago with the rest of the class, but the group was too big. Haunted mini golf, anyone?"

      I groan, "Blair-"

      "I know I know. You hate stuff like this because of what happened when you were fifteen. Nightmares and all. But please? Nothing's gonna kill you! For me?" She pouts.

     I sigh. "Fine. Whatever. I'm not scared Blair. I just don't like reminders... Triggers."

     Carson puts an arm around me, "I get it. I was there and I feel the same way. But we'll be fine."

     "I know. For Pete's sake guys, I'm not scared!"

     Blair snorts in an unladylike fashion  and turns on her heel, leading the way.

      We grab clubs and choose balls underneath a cackling skeleton hanging upside down from the ceiling. The attendant explains that it's an electronic scorer. You put your card in the slot at the door and it will tally for you, along with narration. The ball is coded along with the card. "Fancy," I mutter.

     The attendant programs our cards and the number of players. "There you are! Enjoy yourself... If you survive."

      Blair again leads the way through a dark tunnel to the first hole.

     "Welcome to the dead man's graveyard!" A voice booms, and I flinch, not expecting the loud noise. "Careful of the sand pits. They're our final resting place!"

     My eyes roam to the sand pits on either side of the room. There sits dismembered body parts, the tops of skulls, and a pair of eyes peeking out.

     "It says my card is set to go first!" Blair says gleefully. She drops her pink ball and bumps it straight into... A sand pit. "Darn!"

     The ball must've triggered an automated response, because the voice boomed again. "What! Player one, that was your first hit! You're already as good as dead."

      Blair smirks. "Is that a challenge?"

     "I wouldn't challenge the dead sweetheart." Nate jokes.

     Carson hits next, and then Nate. My ball knocks Carson's into the sand. "And player four knocks player two into the sand!" The creepy voice crows.

    "That's why they program the balls," Blair muses. "So the thingy can identify whose ball is whose."

     Nate takes the lead with that round, so he starts hole two. "Welcome to witches brew!" The voice cackles. The room is circular, with blacklight making the floor glow green. My white tank top is glowing purple. A witch with glowing red eyes stands in the corner with a spoon.