Chapter Thirteen

Carson jerks away from me like he's been stung, causing me to fall into the water.

     I struggle and tread water for a minute, and Carson makes no move to pick me back up. I'm forced to paddle over to Bryce and wrap my arms around his neck to keep from tiring out.

       Carson stares at me, his eyes wide. "Y-you, have a tatt- A tattoo?" He stammers.

      I bite my lip, keeping my arm hidden behind Bryce's neck.

         "I-I," I try to speak, but can't.

       Behind Bryce, a kid I dislike named Shad jumps forward. "She does!" He grabs my wrist, twisting it cruelly so the seahorse is hit by the light.

     Oh how I hate that kid. He asked me out once, and I turned him down for Carson. He's always held that against me.

       Carson's eyes drop from my face to my inner forearm, where the inch-tall seahorse is drawn.

       His eyes crinkle, and he turns from me, pushing inland. I groan and drop from Bryce, "Thanks Shad." I start swimming after him.

     "Carson!" I shout, before ducking under a wave. My toes hit sand, and I rush after him. "Carson!"

     He's on the beach now, stalking down the coast. "Carson wait!"

     "I don't want to talk to you." He says over his shoulder, waving his hand at me.

      I grab his wrist, "Carson, wait. Please!"

     He stops and turns around, pulling his wrist from my grip. "What, Lexi!"

    "I can explain! Please! Can we just talk?"

    His eyes flash, hard and then soft, and then hurt. And at last, emotionless. "Alright. You want to talk? Let's talk!"

       "It happened three nights ago-"

     He interrupts me. "Let's talk. Let's talk about how you completely betrayed everything we ever promised each other and promised ourselves! Lets talk about how you're not wearing that necklace I gave you!" My hand jumps to my throat. He continues, "Let's talk about how our relationship right now is in total jeopardy and that scares the crap out of me!"

       "Carson I did it on accident! You don't understand-"

       "Accident? You mean to tell me you 'accidentally' wandered into a tattoo parlor and then you 'accidentally' turned your arm out and 'accidentally' got a seahorse inked on there?"

      I fall silent. I'm not anxious to tell him how it happened. His eyes fall to his feet.

        "You promised me you'd never get a tattoo. And I promised you the same. You said you hated them. It mattered that we keep ourselves natural, our skin clear. We promised each other, Lexi! Does that even matter?" He asks.

        "Carson you're being unfair. You're not even letting me explain! You've only been here for six hours and already you're exploding! I didn't expect it to happen so soon."

"You expected me to get mad? Is this why you didn't tell me on the phone?" He asks angrily.

"Carson please listen to me!"