Chapter Nine

Wednesday evening. Apparently it's busy night for the Linston family. Mr. Linston has work late, Mrs. Linston has meetings, Landon works at the barn and Caroline has girl group.

      That's why I found myself alone with Noir when I came in from the beach around 5 pm.

        I had made up with Carson and Blair on Monday and chatted for a long time. And yesterday I had gone to the barn again and worked on jumping.

     "Where is everybody?" I say to Noir upon entering.

      "They all left for their activities. The earliest anybody will be back is 9:30, because Dad goes bowling after work and Caroline goes to the movies with her boyfriend that I hate, Landon loves to stay late and Mom's meetings never end on time." He says in one breath.

      I nod slowly. "I'm gonna go get in some comfy clothes. Be right down."

     I jog to my room and pull on sweats and a Tshirt, throw my hair in a messy bun and tug on fuzzy socks.

      Upon coming back downstairs, I see that Noir has candy and syrup and whipped cream out on the counter.

     I smile confusedly and say, "Uh, what're ya doing here?"

     He looks up from stirring hot fudge and grins boyishly at me. "Ice cream sundaes, want some?"

       My smile turns into a grin and I bounce over, "Definitely."

      "Let's put on some music." He says and turns on the radio. Kaitlyn Kutch, just my luck.

      "You planned this! You still want to see me dance!" I exclaim.

       "Me? Plan this? Pssh, no!" He says, his face guilty.

     I try to keep up my angry stance but can't, the song from Kaitlyn's latest album is too much for me.

      A grin spreads across my face as the chorus comes in and I can't help it, I start to sing:

    L-l-l-look at you
   H-h-h-how you know the moves
   G-g-g-got me in the mood
   C-c-c-can't turn you down
   B-b-b-bring it on
   I-I-I-I'll fight so long
   B-b-b-because boy, I
   C-c-c-can't turn you down

       I laugh and do a twirl, badly impersonating the moves from the music video.

      Noir grabs a tub of ice cream from the freezer and hands me a spoon. I scoop myself a bowl and pass him the spoon while he does his.

     Noir takes the whipped cream and squirts it in his mouth, then aims at me.

     "Noir!" I shriek.

     "You better open your mouth because this is getting sprayed whether you are ready or not," He says mischievously.

      I open my mouth and squeeze my eyes shut. There's a hissing sound as Noir shoots the whipped cream.

     I shut my mouth but it keeps coming, covering my face.

    I swallow. "Noir!"

     I wipe the fluffy stuff from my eyes and fling it at him, hitting him square on the nose.

     He shoots his can at me, and I grab the other can to retaliate. We run around laughing and shrieking, spraying each other while 'Can't Turn You Down' blares in the background.