Chapter Fourteen

Monday, day two of Carson not speaking to me.

        The day was pretty laid back, everyone slept in. They were tired from the time change and traveling.

      When most people were up, we went to the beach. I accompanied that group. So did Carson.

       He said nine words to me all day. "Would you pass me my towel," and "leave me alone."

         I don't even know what to do.

        I went to bed tonight but had trouble sleeping, again.

~*~*~

       When I woke up this morning, it was early. I snuck downstairs for the hotel breakfast, hoping no one would be there.

        Someone was.

       I met his eye across the room and half smiled and waved. He threw his stuff away and walked out.

      I watched Carson's retreat sadly, wanting my understanding boyfriend back.

       I pick up my phone and call Landon. "Hey, it's Lexi."

      "Hi Lex. About time you used my number. What's up?" He didn't sound at all groggy for it being 8 am.

       "I was wondering if I could come to the barn today. I'm having a... rough time and need some Lucky."

      "I am so sorry, but I'm not going to the barn today. Feel free to head on down though, and hang out with him. If you want to ride, just grab a stable hand to tack him up for you." Landon says kindly.

      I sigh in relief, "That would be wonderful. Thank you."

      "No problem. Bye bye."

     I hang up and immediately throw away my coffee and bagel. I walk upstairs and quietly change into jeans, leaving a note for Blair to tell Mr. Bind where I was.

      I walk outside into the warm California sunshine and head to a street map, looking for the nearest bus stop. There's one a block away.

       The bus pulls up as I arrive, belching exhaust. I climb on and pay my fare, before settling down to wait six stops.

       It feels like an eternity before we finally pull up to the barn. I jump down the steps, throwing a thank you over my shoulder.

       I walk through the doors and breathe in. The musty smell of the cool barn is relaxing. I make my way over to Lucky, his familiar brown head hangs over his stall door.

       "Hi boy," I rub his nose and gently let myself into his stall. "How have you been? I know, it's been more than a week since I came. Too long, agreed."

      I sit on his hay bale, tucking my feet in so he won't step on them. He turns around and whuffles the top of my head.

      "You silly boy."

      Lucky drops his head down and sniffs at my right arm. I hold it up for him to inspect. "You see that? Somethings not right, huh?" He snorts and I continue to talk to him. "I hurt it when I was fifteen, me and my boyfriend, then best friend, got kidnapped."

       He snorts again and I giggle. "I know, pretty far fetched right? But it really happened. The nastiest guy threw me into a trailer and my arm shattered, so now it's pretty much unusable. I can't move my fingers."

       Lucky stamps his foot impatiently. "You wanna go for a ride? I'll go find somebody."

     I let myself out and wander the barn, searching for an office or something. I spot a guy mucking out stalls and ask if he would tack Lucky up for me. "Landon is a friend of mine and said it would be alright."