Chapter Seventeen

Beach day with the class and Noir's group of friends. Combined, there will be like, 35 kids on the beach. And for the record, I did not invite them, Pepper invited herself and them over.

         My group is already on the beach at 1 pm. The girls are tanning, surprise surprise. The boys are doing numerous things, throwing a football, walking, tanning. A few are digging a huge hole. Why do all boys like to do that?

       Me? I'm sitting with Carson on a sand dune, watching the proceedings. I have my arms crossed over my stomach, a slight attempt to hide the sparkling jewels there. I really don't want to fight with Carson.

      As if reading my thoughts, Carson reaches over and removes my hand. He touches the diamonds lightly, "How is it healing?" He asks gently.

     "It's healing well," I say with a soft smile. "The redness and swelling is gone, but it's still a little tender to the touch. They said it would be like that on and off for a few months."

     He withdraws his hand from my stomach quickly. "Did it hurt when I touched it?"

     "No, not really. You have to apply some pressure to make it hurt."

     Carson leans toward me, our heads against each other. I hear voices behind me and turn. Noir and Pepper and their gang of about 10 people are arriving.

     They get closer and spot us. "Lexi!" Noir shouts. "Hey! Oh, and hello Carson."

     Carson clambers to his feet and reaches down to help me up. I accept his hand, brushing the sand from my butt and thighs. "Hey guys, glad you could come to your- uh... Never mind.
Hi."  I had been about to say your self invited beach party, but decided against it.

     Noir's buddies dash onto the beach to drop their stuff and introduce themselves to my friends. Pepper flashes my boyfriend a flirtatious smile before flouncing off. I'm left standing between the two boys.

     I turn to Carson, "Hey Car? Um, is it okay if- no wait. I'd like to talk to Noir. Privately."

     Carson looks stricken, so I stand on tiptoes and pull his head down toward me. "I'll only be a little ways down the beach, and nothing will happen." I whisper in his ear, "You can watch, but I'd rather keep the conversation a secret. I'll tell you about it later."

     He looks at me, my arms still around his neck. He touches his forehead to mine, "Okay." He says softly. He unwinds my hands and chucks me under the chin, before watching me and Noir amble away.

     When we're a safe distance away, I turn to Noir. "Stop walking."

     He does, but his eyes drop from my face, trailing down my form to my feet and back up again. "New bikini?"

     "Yeah I bought it the other night."

     "I like it. Like, a lot!"

     I huff and cross my arms over my bare midriff. "Don't you try to win me over with pretty words mister," I say.

    He smiles, "You're so cute when you're mad."

     "This? This isn't mad, this is slightly ticked. You'll see mad in a few minutes, and you'll agree with Carson. It is not cute."

      "Awww, why are you slightly ticked?" Noir coos.

     "Pepper told me you guys are dating."