Chapter Twenty-Two

The asphalt digs into my knees through my sweatpants. I stay there next to the yellow car, my world blurred. The cat digs it's claws into my leg, and that wakes me up.

As my vision focuses, I see a dark liquid under the car. Blood. That snaps me awake as to what I should do.

I grab my cell phone and steady my breath. "911? I'm calling to make a report. My boyfriend has been hit by a car, I assume a drunk driver."

~*~*~

There's a knock on the door, and Nate goes to answer it. It's Blair, her face pale and eyes wet. "We need to get Mr. Bind."

"Woah, babe," Nate says. "Are you okay? Do you know where Carson and Lexi are? It's 2:30 AM and they're still gone."

Blair breathes like she's been shot, sucking in air. "Lexi just called. There's been an accident."

~*~*~

After I hang up with the cops, the driver comes to their senses. I hear the driver door open and slam shut, the person cursing.

Recognizing the voice, I freeze and then slowly stand to my feet. I rotate slowly and stare over the hood.

Dark brown eyes meet my green ones in shock. "L-Lexi?" He slurs.

My eyes widen and my jaw drops, I don't speak. I cannot speak. The pain, fear, horror, and now, anger, are too much.

His eyes are bloodshot, his step uncertain. He stumbles around the car and grabs my arms, "Lexi, what are you doing-"

"Don't touch me!" I shriek, jerking away from the strong stench of alcohol.

The ambulance arrives with us in this position, me hyperventilating and Noir staring.

~*~*~

Blair, Nate, Bryce and Mr. Bind come rushing into the hospital and turn, spotting me in the waiting room.

The lights are bright, the smell of lemon-scented cleaning chemicals burns my nose. I open my eyes slowly when I hear their voices.

"Lexi! What happened?" Blair rushes up to me and falls to her knees, her hand on my shoulder.

"Blair! You're here!" I sob, throwing my arms around her. She holds me for a minute while the guys look on.

"Lexi what happened?" Mr. Bind asks.

"W-we were on a-a walk. I spotted this creature in the road and Ca-Carson went to get it so it wouldn't get hurt. It was a little black cat. While he was out there, a yellow sports car with a drunk driver careened into h-him and..."

"This cat?" Nate asks, pointing into the pocket of my hoodie.

I glance down. Sure enough, the kitten is in my pocket. "I guess he stowed along."

They sit down in chairs. "What's going on right now?"

"He's in a coma. ICU. Waiting to stabilize."

~*~*~

At around 5:30 in the morning, Mr. Bind stands. "I'm sorry kiddos, but the other people will be up soon. As the only chaperone, it's my duty to be with the majority of kids. You'll be able to handle yourself? I'll contact Lexi and Carson's parents."

We all nod grimly. I stare out the window and when he drives off, I turn to the others.

"There's something I didn't tell you. Something I didn't want Mr. Bind to hear." My voice is rough and scratchy, it scrapes up my throat.