Chapter Seven

I swallow and stare out to sea. "W-why do you want to know that?" I stammer.

          "I know that it's not a birth defect. So obviously you did something. I also feel that if we're to become- if we're to be good friends we shouldn't have secrets," Noir says.

            I sigh and stare skyward. "It happened when I was fifteen, three years ago this July. I was over my friend Bryce's house with some pals, and I saw a car acting strangely. I grabbed Carson and another kid named Syd and convinced them to check it out with me."

        I look at Noir now, "Biggest mistake of my life."

       I pause and collect my thoughts. This is not fun for me to re-live.

       "Turns out it was a highly wanted marijuana dealer and his accomplice. While we were eavesdropping, my phone rang and alerted them of our presence."

          I stare at Noir hard, his face is troubled as he listens.

         "They kidnapped us. The leader was cruel. He hit me, bruised me, cut me and burned me. Luckily for me, almost all of those scars have faded."

       I grit my teeth, pushing down the tears in the back of my throat. "The demons had us for three and a half months. Three and a half months of torture. Pure hell."

       I fall silent, not speaking for fear of betraying my tears.

       "Lexi, what happened to your arm?"

        "It was a day I tried to escape. I found out my friend Syd sold us out for some weed, and helped them look for where I was hiding. Carson tried to stop him, but Syd beat him up. I couldn't take it so I came out of hiding. The boss was livid. He threw me into a trailer and because of a poor diet, my bones were weakened. He shattered my arm." I stare at my ruined right hand. "Obviously he's a tyrant and denied me medical assistance.

        Noir puts his arm around me and I gaze at the ocean again. "We did manage to call the police and they freed us. But not before Boss stabbed me in the back and threw me into a wall, again."

        I pause again for breath. "It's why I try to be fearless. I don't want to experience the terror I felt those three months. I don't want to go through that. So I set out to conquer everything I can. I vowed I would not be afraid, but the truth is, I am. I am afraid of fear."

We're silent for a few minutes before I speak again.

       "He's in jail now. I put him there." I look at Noir. "That's what me and Carson were doing in California when I met you," I say softly. "Going to testify at his trial."

        Noir is quiet, his eyes searching mine. "I knew something was wrong. I knew it."

         I lean my head on his shoulder, his arm warm around my body.

       Noir takes my bad arm and studies it, and I try to pull away, nerves panging in my chest.

       He looks at me, his face pale. "I thought you said the scars faded," he says, his finger running along light scars crossing horizontally over my arm.

      I swallow hard and don't answer him.

      "Who did this to you?" Noir asks softly.

      I stare at the rock my feet rest on.

"I did." I whisper.

       He pulls away, and I'm cold without his arm around me.

       "Why?"