Chapter Fifteen

SOPHIE DANIELS

SOPHIE DANIELS

5 years later...

Sometimes I thought about it. I really did. Packing up all of my stuff, taking my boys... and leaving. I couldn't though, I really loved him too much to actually do it.

I rolled over in bed and inhaled deeply as I looked at him. Shaggy unclipped hair, months worth of stubble, the soft rise of his chest as his breath entered his lungs.

Austin was still so sinfully handsome, but he just wasn't the same, inside of his soul. His eyes never held that sparkle, his voice was monotone with barely any emotion when he spoke, and I couldn't even remember the last time he had genuinely made me laugh.

I thought back to our wedding day. His mortification at sitting in his wheelchair as I walked downed the aisle, that awkward little half lean I had to do when it was time to kiss him. Everything about that day had been unfortunate, but nothing more than that night.

That was first night we tried to have sex after the incident. The doctors had told us that a lot of paraplegics have sex and can enjoy it, but that wasn't the case for Austin. We tried and tried and tried, but we were never able to.

I know deep down that it killed Austin. He couldn't even make love to his own wife, but I really didn't mind. I mean, I missed it sometimes, but just being with Austin is enough. Or it use to be.

Now he's different. Almost a shell of the man he once was. And everyday is an internal battle with myself, about whether I stay here, with a mate who gets drunk more times in a week than he tells me he loves me, or try to find something better for myself and my children.

I knew I couldn't leave... I wouldn't, I could get Austin help. But how? The only thing that would help Austin at this point would be to completely reverse his condition.

If I could achieve the impossible for Austin, I no doubt would. Truthfully... I'd do anything for him. He was my mate and we'd been through hell & back together.

With a sigh, I quietly got out of bed, making sure that Austin was still sleeping soundly as I made my way out of our broken bedroom.

My first stop, was the kitchen. I had to whip the boys up a quick breakfast, neatly wrapping up the leftovers and leaving them in the refrigerator so Austin could eat them when he woke up.

Then, I went into the boys' bedroom and told them that breakfast was ready and reminded them to brush their teeth.

They were so close in age and they looked so much alike that they were often mistaken for twins; people were usually shocked to find out that they were only half brothers.

As I was putting the almond milk back into the refrigerator after pouring them each a glass, I heard a deep voice.

"Hi, Chase." Austin said, sleep still thick in his voice as he wheeled into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes.