Chapter 2

You soon had to make your way to Greg's house. As you walked, you recounted in your head the things you had put in your bag. A couple board games, a cassette tape with some of Greg's favorite songs- they had a tape player for it -a couple bags of raisins, a few pieces of candy, because what kid doesn't like candy? and to top it all off, a couple pads of construction paper.

You knocked on their door and waited until someone answered.

"Hello!" Came Greg's cheerful voice as the door opened.

"Hello, Greg," you smiled. "And how is Mr. Funderburker?"

"He's doing great!" He said as you entered the house. "I got him some really fluffy socks to keep him warm when fall comes." He practically bounced off the ground as he spoke.

"Are your parents still here?" You asked, scanning the room for a sign of them.

"Yeah, Mom's just finishing getting ready. She told me to answer the door."

"Okay, then," you turned to him. "I brought some games."

"Can Jason Funderburker play, too?" He asked, super excited.

"I don't see why not," you responded. He smiled wider and bounded down the hallway, right past his parents who were just making their way out.

"Thank you again, (y/n)," his mother said.

"Don't worry about it," you replied. "Just have a good evening."

You bid your farewells to the adults and soon you and Greg remained.

You played some games- the frog not really doing anything, but Greg extolling him for his great skills nonetheless. Very shortly, the games grew old. So, you played some of the music as the two of you folded the colorful papers into simple formations you had been practicing.

"So," you tried to begin a conversation since Greg was busy concentrating. "Why couldn't Wirt watch you? Not that I'm not more than happy to be here."

"He said he had personal stuff planned," Greg replied absentmindedly.

"Huh," you responded. "You hungry, little man?"

Greg looked up from the paper and smiled. "Sure."

"I've got raisins and candy, let's say we eat the raisins first?" You prompted. He looked at you expectantly and nodded. You dug in your bag and pulled out the raisins. While eating, you two continued folding papers to the sound of the music.

You don't know how much time passed before the front door burst open. It was much too early for Greg's parents, so you jumped at the sudden action. Coming through the door was Wirt. He quickly struggled to close the door. It wasn't until then that you noticed the wind picking up outside.

"Hey, Wirt!" Greg stood and presented his sloppy formation. "I made this for you. It's a frog!"

Wirt accepted the gift and inspected it from a few different angles. "It looks a lot better than your last one," he praised.

"(Y/n)'s been helping me," Greg informed his brother.

Wirt suddenly took notice of your presence. "Oh, uh, hi."

"Hello, Wirt," you smiled.

"After frogs, (y/n) said we could learn birds!" Greg went on. "Do you want to make a bird with us, Wirt?"

"Uh, no thanks, Greg," he said. He glanced at you, then back at Greg.

"I've got this if you want to do something else," you assured him.

"Okay," Wirt responded. You smiled as he made his way out of the room.

Greg came back over to you. "About the birds, can it be a tiger instead?"

Soon, ten o'clock  rolled around and his parents came home almost on the dot. Greg presented them with a plethora of mutilated papers that were meant to be frogs, tigers, and whatever else he felt like inventing. They received the colored papers with smiles on their faces.

You packed your bag back up with the things you had removed. Greg stopped you before you took the tape.

"Can I borrow this?" He asked.

"Uh, sure," you said. "Just call when you're through with it."

"Righty-o, (y/n)," he flashed you a smile.

Wirt had apparently emerged from wherever he had been residing; he spoke with his parents, probably about what he had been doing to inhibit him from watching Greg. You waited for their conversation to come to a rest while Greg talked your ear off about what he wanted to make out of paper next. When you saw your opening, you said your goodbyes to his parents.

As you were about to walk out the door, Wirt came up to you. "It's kinda late; I could walk you home if you want."

You glanced at the dark outside. "Alright.""I'll be right back," Wirt told his parents as the two of you walked out the door.