Chapter 21

The three of you spent the rest of the day talking about mindless things, but you didn't mind really. Anna was very nice and was great to talk to. Even Wirt warmed up to her and actively took part in conversation. Before long- or it didn't feel like long -the door opened, letting in the now cooling air.

The Woodsman stepped inside, closing the door behind him. Anna stood quickly to explain why you two were there.

"Father, this is (y/n) and Wirt," she informed him. "They need your help."

He studied the two of you for a moment. "Yes," he directed his speech at Wirt. "I remember you." He paused but quickly went on. "What help do you children need?"

"We're um, lost," Wirt said. "Again. And last time you were able to help my brother and me."

"I see," he thought. "These woods are a riddle. A maze with a hidden end. The dangers are small, but the forest is large. I will help you as much as I am able." He glanced out the darkened window. "But the best will be done in the daylight. You two may rest here for the night, and I will help you in the morning."

"O-okay," Wirt replied. "Thank you."

~Time skip, brought to you by the I'm Already Too Tired Foundation~

You had spent the night with Anna in her room, and you had woken early. The excitement of possibly getting home must have woken you. Anna didn't sleep much longer, however. You two had left the room only to find Wirt and the Woodsman already awake and talking.

Anna convinced her father to let her come along, so all four of you set off into the forest. The Woodsman had an idea of what could get you home, but he wasn't certain. Along the way, Anna attempted at some conversation, but everyone seemed too deep in thought to talk.

You thought about your family and Greg. They were the people back home you cared most for. Soon, you would be seeing them again, probably. You wondered what the reunion would be like, or if they'd noticed your disappearance. If not much time passed, maybe no one had noticed. But by the time you got back you could only hope that whatever had sent you to the Unknown wasn't too bad. Wirt and Greg had fallen in a river, but you hadn't been near a river. Your thoughts drifted on as you followed the Woodsman through the forest.

You could only hope he knew a way to get you home.