Chapter 6

You arrived home to a still grumpy (b/n).

"Did you have fun?" he asked, but by his tone of voice he obviously hoped you hadn't.

"Yeah, actually. What did you do?"

"None of your business," he stomped away. You shook your head at his immaturity.

Sunday went by fast and before you knew it, it was a school day. You groaned internally as you walked to the bus stop. The only thing that made your mood change was the sight of Wirt, who came to the same bus stop.

"Hey," you said. He smiled in greeting. You continued, "Do you have an idea for the vest?"

"Well, not really yet," he admitted. "But if it comes to it, I'm sure there's one at the store somewhere."

"If you don't find one, my dad has a nice blue vest; I'm sure you could borrow it."

The bus pulled up, and you and two other kids got on. You and Wirt sat next to each other and continued the conversation.

"That would be great,"Wirt said, relief hinted in his words. "What about the sweater?"

"Well, my mom said we could find a cheap, pink sweater I could glue stuff to," you explained. "I figured that would suffice. Oh, I also brought this. Because I know I would forget it otherwise." You pulled out the hat from your backpack and handed it to him.

"Oh, uh, thanks," he smiled and put it into his own backpack.

The two of you road in silence until arriving at school where you went about your classes. After school, Wirt had band, so you road by yourself on the bus home.

Luckily, Mondays were a big day for after school activities, so the bus was fairly empty. You got a seat all to yourself and your backpack.

You looked out the window, thinking about your friendship with Wirt. Kids had been talking, a lot. Most of them knew you were childhood friends, and others knew your brothers were friends. Yet, there was still a lot of talk, as there often is around a boy and a girl "just being friends". You tried to ignore it, but sometimes the snickering would get to you. You were definitely not breaking things off with Wirt over some dumb kids, but you felt you needed to express it to someone. Of course, though, you could never tell this to anyone because, well, you're kind of shy, and Wirt is your closest friend. You didn't want to make things awkward, even if he had, which was likely, noticed the gossip as well. So, for the time being, it was your burden to carry.

You got off the bus and made your way home. You finished homework and made plans with your mom to go shopping for a sweater within the week. Soon, you were bored.

School seemed to be repeating itself every day. Wake up, eat breakfast, get on the bus, talk to Wirt, classes, come home on the bus, do homework, and then read or draw or something until bedtime. You sighed in frustration, almost wishing for more homework, almost. At least on weekends you talked with Wirt, but even the unique things in your life began to blur into a blob of redundancy. Perhaps life would go on as such, like a stream never changing its course. But hey, Halloween was coming up and that would be something fun and different.

And as for the kids in school, let them talk. You knew the truth and it's not like they could do any real damage, right?