Chapter 4

You let two days pass before calling Wirt's house. When you did call, a young voice answered. "Hello?"

"Hello, Greg?" You asked.

You heard a laugh, "How did you know?"

"Lucky guess," you smiled without thinking. "This is (y/n). Hey, is your brother there?"

"Yeah, Wirt's upstairs. I'll go get him," Greg said cheerfully. You heard the receiver be set down then some muffled talking and a few loud footsteps before the receiver was picked up.

"Hello? (Y/n)?" you heard Wirt's voice.

"Yeah, it's me," you paused. "I was thinking of coming over to get the tape today. Everything is already cleared with my parents if you want to do something this afternoon."

Silence remained for three seconds, "Uh, yeah. Just let me make sure my parents are okay with it."

"Alright," you replied as you heard similar sounds to before.

"My parents said it's fine," Wirt said upon returning.

"Great," you said, smiling again. "When is a good time for you?"

"Whenever, you could come now if you wanted," he answered.

"Sure thing," you said. "I'll see you in ten minutes."

~~~Time Skip brought to you by Black Turtles~~~

You waited at the doorstep for someone to answer. Soon, footsteps approached and the door opened. Wirt stood in the doorway. He extended to you the tape.

"Here, I already went through the hassle of getting it back from Greg," he smiled a little. You took it gratefully.

"Thanks," you smiled. "Are you uh, do you want to go now?"

"Oh, uh, yeah, totally." he stammered. "I'll just tell my parents I'm going."

You nodded as he disappeared to his parents. You stood in the open doorway, watching the clouds in the sky.

"Okay," you heard Wirt say. You broke your trance and turned to him.

"Where do you want to go?" he asked, closing the door after the two of you.

"Well," you had been thinking about this so you would have an answer. "We could go to the park, or down town. We could um, go to.." you drew a blank.

"The park sounds nice," Wirt saved it.

"Okay," your face brightened. "To the park."

You two walked in silence, but it wasn't as deafening as the other night. You just observed the clouds and marveled at the trees' changing leaves. Soon, however, you arrived at the park. You two chose a nice bench in the shade and sat.

"What's on the tape?" Wirt tried starting a conversation.

"Oh, some songs Greg mentioned that he liked," you said. "I took one night during the summer to make a mix-tape. Figured it would save the trouble of trying to find the songs every time."

"Nice," he said.

"What about you, do you make tapes?" you attempted to keep the conversation alive.

"Um, I sometimes do," he answered. "I mean, I'm not very good at mix-tapes. I tend to record my own stuff."

"That's awesome," you exclaimed. "What do you record?"

"Um, I.." he trailed off.

"Sorry, I got excited. If you don't feel like sharing, it's okay," you said.

"No, I mean, you know I play clarinet; our moms practically enrolled us in classes together," he assured you. You had dropped out of classes after two months; your mom decided it wasn't your instrument. Wirt continued, "I sometimes record the clarinet is all."

"That sounds really fun. I'd love to hear it sometime," you said. "If you don't mind, of course."

"Uh, sure," he said.

You two continued on with pleasant conversation until the sun began to set.

"We should probably get back," Wirt speculated.

"Yeah," you admitted. You had a thought. "We should do this more often."

"Sure," he agreed. "Should we set a time?"

"Well, school will be starting, so how about Saturdays?"

"Let's say, three o'clock?" he asked.

"I'll pass it by my parents and tell you at school, okay?"

"I'll do the same," he replied.

"I'll see you," you said, giving a wave. He waved back, and you headed your separate ways.