1| Pizza Panic

"Better luck next time," a girl on the other team waved her hand as she walked away, claiming victory. Her hair was as orange as a pumpkin. I wanted to carve her head out and put it on my porch. I hated playing against the Riverdale Ravens because they were cocky. Even though this game was just a scrimmage, every win or loss counts against them.

I don't know how this rivalry started. There will always be tension and competition between the two high schools. No one dared to speak to anyone from the other school. If someone switched to the opposing school, they were considered a traitor.

"You know, I wish I could rip every strand of hair on her head slowly, one by one." My friend Rebecca said.

"Sometimes I worry deeply about you Becca."

"Well take those emotions and bring them to the Pizzeria downtown," she paused. "Shawn will be there," she nudged me by the elbow.

"So what? He just broke up with his girlfriend, and I'm not trying to look like an opportunist." I haphazardly shoved my soccer gear into my black duffle sports bag.

"Stella, this is your chance to get a boyfriend, to finally get your first kiss."

"Why don't you try saying that louder next time?" I rolled my eyes, looking around the change room. Luckily, no one was here. We were always the last ones in the change rooms because after every game we liked to run around the field twice.

"No use, everyone knows you still haven't been kissed," she said. Rebecca has been my friend since first grade, and since then, she never had a filter. She doesn't think twice about what she's going to say even if it causes harm. At least she isn't outspoken like me. I always admired her confidence.

"And what's wrong with that? I have yet to meet a guy who is worthy."

"I'm pretty sure Shawn is worthy, plus he's the goalie for the boys' soccer team. You guys can bond over soccer," she explained. I always avoided the boys' soccer game. I never wanted to come in close contact with Shawn. Even though I have been crushing on him for the past year, I managed to like him from afar.

"I'm dragging you to Dante's Pizzeria whether you like it or not," she added.

•••

Rebecca wasn't kidding when she said she would drag me to Dante's Pizzeria. I liked Shawn, but I'm positive that I'm not his type. He goes for the popular girly girls, the ones with perfectly straight hair. Shawn loves the girls that dress to impress, not me, the one who wears skinny jeans and a t-shirt every day. He loves the girls who are wild and fun, unlike them, I'm more composed and serious.

Shawn will never go for someone like me, a simple girl who loves soccer and reading.

"The party has arrived, bow before us," Rebecca exclaimed as soon as we entered the pizza shop, but no one heard her over the booming voices and laughter. The place was packed with people I have never seen before. But in the booth in the corner, there was Shawn and his friend, Logan, Rebecca's boyfriend.

"I thought there were more people from school?" I whispered.

"Yeah, they went to this party at Nikki's house. Now come here." She pulled me into the empty washroom.

"What now?" I asked.

"You are the predator tonight, not the weak little prey. You go get your man so I can be finally at peace."

"Is this your idea of a pep talk?" I rolled my eyes.

"Pull this a little lower," she pulled my shirt down, revealing more cleavage than I wanted. "It won't hurt to put concealer on those under eye circles," she dabbed concealer under my eyes. For the past four years of high school, she's been transferring her love of makeup and fashion to me, wishing I shared the same interest in makeup and style as her.

"Seducing him with my boobs won't work when we're eating pizza, I'll be more attracted to the pizza than him."

"Stella, you'll have everything you want tonight, pizza and Shawn. Just picture Shawn in a pizza costume if it helps."

We started walking to the booth, when Logan saw us, his face lit up, not taking his eyes off Rebecca. He won life, Rebecca was irreplaceable. She had looks, the straight brown hair, the naturally long lashes, the wide green eyes, society's definition of the perfect body.

It wasn't just the looks; she's incredibly smart. She's always at the top of every class, and learning new things is easy for her. She's talented too, Rebecca can draw, play music and act very well. It's not just the arts either, she's good at sports too, except swimming, she can't swim at all. On top of that, she manages to maintain her social life. She has many friends from the sports and clubs she joins. There's always a party in store for her every weekend.

She manages to do all of this when there's me, the only sport I'm good at is soccer. I am not artistic, I am antisocial, my looks are average, and I get nervous in front of crowds. Sometimes I wish I had the power to overcome my fears.

"Hey babe," Rebecca greeted as she slid into the seat in front of Logan. I was face to face with Shawn. This is making me anxious.

"Stella right?" Shawn asked, despite being in classes together since ninth grade. "You scored the only goals tonight for Bayview. Good job," he smiled. My heart was racing. He has never said my name nor complimented me.

"Thanks," I said.

"If you guys don't mind we already ordered a pepperoni pizza," Shawn announced.

"No problem at all, that's actually my favourite type of pizza," I said. 

"And so far, you're my favourite soccer player at our school. Don't tell my brother though," Shawn said. My stomach dropped. I was trying my best not to blush, but I could feel the heat in my cheeks. I looked down at my lap, hoping to cover it up.  

"Your secret is safe with me if you promise this won't be our last pizza date," I looked up. I'm shocked I had this hidden confidence inside.

"I promise," he said. "How come I've never noticed you before?"

Maybe because you spend time with the popular people and ignore everyone else.

"No clue," I replied. "I need to go to the washroom," I slid out the booth. I almost forgot to call and tell my mom where I was. I was looking down at my phone when somebody crashed into me, spilling their drink on my t-shirt. It was a good thing that I didn't like this shirt.

"Watch where you're going," he said. I swear I saw smoke come out from his nose.

"Hey, you're the one that spilt that disgusting drink on my shirt," I said looking down at the stains of root beer on my yellow shirt.

"Fine, what do you want a sorry?" He asked. 

"A sincere one," I said grabbing napkins from a nearby table to wipe down the sticky liquid.

"I'm sorry. I really am. I would help you clean up, but I'm in a rush. I need to say goodbye to a friend," he said. Just like that, the tall handsome guy jogged out of the pizzeria. There was no hint of sincerity in his voice, but his face told another story.

I didn't go back to our table. I looked back and all three of them were in the middle of laughing. I don't think they'll notice my absence. I left Dante's Pizzeria and stepped into the fog.

I dialled my mom's number, after two rings she picked up. "Hey."

"Stella, I'm in the middle of a shift. I won't be home for dinner, just heat up the leftovers."

"Got it."

"I need to go bye."

"Bye," I paused. "I love you mom," I said, but she was too busy to hear the three words so she hung up.

a/n I hope you guys like the first chapter, I will try to update once a week on Fridays. Comment, vote and share as always!