18| Closer

Ever since Owen asked me if I wanted to go swimming with his family yesterday, I felt uneasy. He was bringing me to meet his family. I was okay with Natalia, but his parents and his older brother that's flying in from California is too much. I can't make a good impression on three people at the same time. Plus, I feel like I'm intruding on their family bonding time. 

I double checked the items I stuffed in my backpack: sunscreen, an apple, elastics, a towel and an extra change of clothes. I was wearing my swimsuit under my clothes. All he told me was we were going swimming.

"You okay?" Owen glanced at me and then at my legs, which were bouncing up and down. 

"No, I am so nervous."

He smiled, "I like that you're nervous to meet my family, but you shouldn't be. They'll like you."

I tried to calm myself down by looking through the window. We were near the pier and the docks. I thought we were going swimming?

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked. There was pressure. This was my first serious relationship. I didn't want to mess this up for us.

"You'll see my soccer superstar," he winked as he parked the car. There were two other cars I have never seen before, a black Jeep and a white Maserati. Owen opened the door for me, and the fresh smell of the cool ocean breeze hit me. It was still early in the morning, and the sun has not fully taken its spot in the sky.

Surrounding us were a bunch of yachts, sailboats and speed boats. I have never been to the docks in Elmwood since I had no business being here. It wasn't big, but it was a reasonable size that could fit at least thirty boats. This place was for the rich, not an average girl like me.

"I'm kind of embarrassed to show you this but my parents-" Owen tried to explain, but then suddenly someone was yelling at us. Screaming his name a few boats down from where we were standing. He was a tall muscular guy with a slight stubble on his jaw and upper lip. He had unruly light brown curly hair that begged for a haircut.

He was yelling from a two-floor sleek white yacht, waving his hand over, beckoning Owen. Owen then yelled something in Italian, and the guy yelled something back. They were having a full-on Italian conversation with a girl who only spoke English. This was his brother.

We climbed a ladder that led onto the yacht. I can't believe Owen's family had a yacht when ours could barely own one car. As soon as we got onto the yacht, I stood awkwardly behind Owen as they continued conversing about God knows what. His brother then extended his arm, greeting me with a warm smile, "hey, my name's Giuseppe."

I grabbed his clammy hands, "Stella."

Giuseppe patted Owen in the back and said, "I'll tell mom and dad you guys are here." Then, he left.

I stared blankly at my surroundings. We stood in a small pathway, on the left of me there was a tinted window, I had no doubts that on the other side of that window was a room. Above was a small deck and from the view I saw on the outside, the person navigating the boat was up there.

"Is this too much for you?" Owen asked, knitting his eyebrows together. It was overwhelming to see that the De Luca's had a yacht and probably other more expensive things. Like the white Maserati parked outside.

"It's fine-I'm fine, I'm just processing it. Just don't leave me. I feel like I'll get lost."

"That's why I brought along some familiar faces," his attention focused somewhere from behind me. On the deck was Audrey, Trevor, Curtis, and Natalia. I was so delighted and relieved to see them. I can't have his whole family's focus on me.

I approached them. They were all wearing swimwear, "hey guys."

"Hey," Audrey greeted. She looked like a professional model in her white bikini attire. I would feel uncomfortable to be dressed in my bathing suit if I was surrounded by her and Natalia.

"We were just talking about how deep dish pizzas are a disgrace to Italia," Natalia said. Just like her brother, she had a thick Italian accent whenever she spoke in Italian. I took myself back to the day where I knocked on their front door after the fire and ice ball and thought Natalia was his girlfriend. 

"Well I'm not Italian, so I can't relate," Curtis chimed in. He was wearing shades and white swimming shorts that matched his girlfriend. His arm was rested around her shoulder. The gesture looked casual, but to me, it seemed romantic. Audrey leaned into Curtis' ear and whispered something inaudible which caused Curtis to grin, trying to suppress his laugh. 

"Same here," I replied. The four of them continued to talk about deep dish pizzas versus authentic Italian pizzas. I couldn't help but watch Audrey and Curtis; how they look at each other and how each stare holds a message, "I love you" or "I'm happy you're here" perhaps. Whatever it may be, I know what they have can last.

I can see the appeal both Curtis and Owen see in Audrey. She looked simple, but when you combine all her features it was cruel for one person to be so beautiful. It wasn't just her looks. I knew she was very kind and hilarious according to Owen. These thoughts caused a rumbling feeling in my stomach and the feeling of a thousand needles prodding at my chest. I was jealous because I knew I could never be her.

I looked behind me, expecting Owen to be looking at Audrey laughing her head off, but instead, he was looking at me. His eyes trained on mine as I watched his lips pull into a smile, I couldn't help smiling back.

a/n I hate high school. I'm sorry I haven't updated for two months, school has been crazy, tests and assignments every week. But hopefully, I'll finish writing this book before winter break ends. I hope you're enjoying reading this as much as I love writing this story. Anyways, have a Merry Christmas/happy holidays !!