17| Damaged, Not Destroyed

As the day came to an end, the father looked down to the girl and told her he loved her. 

"Why did you leave me, daddy?" I shouted into the void. My eyes were swollen from crying, my hands and legs trembled from the cold.

"I miss you, dad. I miss you every single day, even if you may not miss me. I miss you so much, and I still love you despite everything. I'm left with almost no one to love me, but I will love you wholeheartedly."

"Stella?" A voice called from behind. I couldn't see in the dark, but I knew it was Owen. I heard his footsteps quickly approach me as he loudly stepped on twigs, the sound of the snapping resonated. "Stella I thought you were hurt, fanculo. I thought I'd never see you again." He crouched down in front of me taking my hand into his as he rubbed faint circles on my hand.

"How did you find me?" I whispered, if I talked louder I knew my voice would crack. 

"You told me that your father took you to a stinky stream the day you last saw him. Then I saw the P and U written on a tree while we were walking down to the lake. Oh god, I'm just so glad I saw you." He dropped my hands and pulled me into a hug. His hands on my back felt like fire; it warmed me and protected me from the icy forest.

"He doesn't love me, Owen. My own father left me because he doesn't love me. And my mom, she never did since he left." I sobbed into his shoulder.

"There are times when we leave the ones we love for complicated reasons, but that doesn't mean we love them any less. Your parents love you, Stella, I'm sure of it. How could anyone not?" His voice soothed me, calming me from the storm I created in my own mind. He was the calm after the storm, and I was the thunder and lightning.

"Are you going to leave me?" I pulled away, looking him in the eyes. 

"I'm here to stay," he said. "Don't ever think that you wake up everyday unloved because one thing's for certain. I love you, Stella."

"Even when I'm at my worst?"

"Without a doubt" he gave me a small smile. I wanted to tell him I did too, after everything I've been through there's been one constant after every wave of problems: Owen. 

•••

I was in the field again. I was heavily panting when I finally caught up with the girl on the opposing team. I managed to steal the soccer ball from her and pass it to a teammate nearby. I stopped running and looked into the crowd. He was watching me.

It was the first time I saw him since the day at the stream. It's been almost two weeks. Owen texted me saying that he wanted to watch my next soccer game. Butterflies swarmed my stomach when I first read the text and enthusiastically replied with a 'yes.'

Everything drastically turned for the better after then. Mom was home more often, and we could finally talk about a variety of subjects that didn't bore me to death. Although, she didn't confront me about running off, or the fact that I disrespected her. It was odd, but it was a start.

Then there was Laurie's funeral last Sunday. I didn't go. I couldn't see someone I knew so well gone forever. Rebecca understood my reasons, and she respected it. I wanted to be there for her, to be the one who comforts her every time she shed a tear. We were finally getting back to the way things used to be. I forgave Rebecca and moved on. It hurt me more than her to hold this grudge. Everyone deserves chances to prove that they could be better.