7| Owen

His name was Trevor. Not Eli or Lincoln, but Trevor. I could finally match a name to the attractive face I often saw. I entered the school determined to find him. He was oddly more rude than usual during our last encounter at his house. Maybe it was because I looked like a stalker. But that didn't matter, dancing and talking to him during the Fire and Ice Ball was life-changing.

"Trevor," I repeated to the secretary. I had asked her if there was a Trevor in the eleventh grade for the fifth time.

"Sorry dear, there's no Trevor in eleventh grade. There's one in ninth grade." She apologized and turned back to face her computer.

Either he lied about his name again, or he doesn't go to Bayview High. I left the school office with a look of dismay.

"What's wrong?" Rebecca asked me as soon as I got to my locker. I played with a bright green magnet while I stood there, thinking about Trevor.

"Do you know if students from other schools crash our school events?" I asked.

She laughed. Then, she gave me a serious look. "You're kidding, right? That's normal. We do it, and other schools do it to us."

"Oh." I stuck the magnet back on the locker door, slamming it shut. Math was going to be dreadful, especially on a Monday morning.

"Yeah, but I'm pretty sure people from Riverdale do that more often. You know, with the rival and all." She said, "anyways, I'll see you at lunch."

Riverdale High school, why does it always have to be them? Our rivalry with that school is getting tiresome, all I know is that we have a soccer game at their school tonight. Maybe I'll see Trevor.

•••

"Sorry again babe," Shawn said through the phone. I was sitting on the bench while the game with Riverdale played out before me. So far, we were ahead by six points. "I'm busy with school and other things."

"Yeah I get it, it's fine," I huffed. When I saw him and Nikki roaming around the school when they dated, Shawn looked like he would do anything for her. As if he genuinely loved her. All I got so far were a bunch of sorry's tied up with excuses.

"I promise I'll be there for your next game," he said.

"Okay, I love you."

"Love you too, bye."

He ended the call as I still held my phone near my ear, thinking he would have wished me luck before he ended the call. 

I already scored three points for our team, and the coach likes giving everyone on the team a chance to play. He subbed me out for a Junior who was eager to play.

"I'm just going to the washroom," I told my teammate, Angel. She nodded, keeping her eyes trained on the game. The opposing team was catching up.

I entered the empty school. There were arrows on the wall that directed me towards the girl's bathrooms.

When I turned the corner, I saw him leaning against the wall parallel to the girl's washroom. He had a baseball cap on, one foot hoisted up on the wall, looking down on his smartphone. A wide smile plastered on his face.

"Trevor?" I called out. He didn't look up. Perhaps I wasn't loud enough, so I repeated myself.

Nothing.

I approached him, tapping him on the shoulder. "Hey whatever your name is."

The bright smile he had moments ago faded when he looked me in the eyes. "Stella?"

"Oh, I'm glad you remember me. I remember you too. I don't know what to call you Eli Lincoln Trevor."

He tucked his phone away in his pocket, "okay good point."

"Is that all you're going to say after you lied to me multiple times?" If he didn't want to tell me his name, he could have said that the first time. 

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

I looked down at my soccer uniform that had Bayview High's emblem on the left corner of my shirt. The crest had two black squares and two yellow squares, and in the center, there was a silver knight's hat. "Isn't it obvious?"

"You don't seem like the sporty type."

"And you don't seem like the honest type," I retorted. I crossed my arms, waiting for an answer. Hopefully fast, because I really needed to pee.

"Owen."

"Okay Owen, what were you doing crashing our school dance the other night?" I tapped my foot on the floor.

"Maybe you want to say that louder next time?" He glared at me, looking around. "Don't tell anyone. No one needs to know."

"You didn't answer my question."

He opened his mouth to say something, but he refrained from it. His gaze shifted; he was looking at something behind me. I turned around to see a girl. She was looking down as she stuffed something in her purse. She had brown wavy hair and tanned skin.

"Do you know where my-" she stopped mid-sentence when she made eye contact with me. "Oh, hey-do you know-"

"No," Owen and I said in unison.

Owen glared at me, "we don't know each other. She just rudely bumped into me."

She glanced down at my uniform. I expected her to look disgusted or say something rude, but she said, "what's your name?"

"Does it matter? Audrey let's go," Owen said.

"Stella."

"It was nice meeting you, even though our team is about to kick your ass at the game tonight," she smiled. Even if it did sound offensive, the tone in her voice and her expression said otherwise. Audrey was friendly compared to others at Riverdale.

They left, Owen's arm slung around her shoulder. She must have been his girlfriend or something. I entered the washroom hoping that maybe that wasn't the case.

•••

Marianne scored the winning goal at the soccer game against Riverdale. All the players on our team instantly ran to her to celebrate our first win of the season. We were huddled up, jumping and smiling. I glanced to the losing team and the crowd, they were all disappointed. Then, I saw Owen talking to the girl from the washroom.

"Who are you looking at?" Rebecca's wide smile faded.

"Oh, it's nothing."

"Is it because of Shawn?" She asked. The girls on my team suddenly dispersed, picking their equipment up to get ready to go home. "Because he has this thing with his mom."

"Yeah I know he told me, ever since the Fire and Ice Ball he's been distant."

"I was talking to Logan about it, and apparently Shawn's been having family problems."I sighed; I wanted to be there for him, but he never allowed me to. I wanted to reach out and comfort Shawn, but he's never here.

Rebecca and I collected our bags and exited the field, Owen and the girl, Audrey was still laughing and talking as if they had all the time in the world. I was jealous of their relationship. Why couldn't Shawn be like that? I snuck in a glance as we passed them hoping he did too.

a/n Sorry I haven't updated in a month, school was killing me. Now that's it summer, expect more frequent updates! Thanks for the support, vote, comment and share!