4| Ice Cold

It has been two weeks since Spring Break ended. So far, I am still in a relationship with Shawn. The first day back from the break; all eyes were on us. We walked into the hallway holding hands, we sat next to each other in the cafeteria. No matter what, someone was watching our every move, including his ex-girlfriend, Nikki. She was the worst. She's been glaring at me, and whispering behind my back.

Rumours were already spreading. Rumours that include Shawn cheating on Nikki with me and dating me to get Nikki jealous. Rebecca and Shawn said to ignore them. Nikki probably started everything, seeing as she regrets their breakup. Ever since they broke up, she's been trying to get back with him. It's crazy how you only realize what you have when you no longer have it. 

I sat in math class, rolling the pencil across the table as the teacher assigned us homework for the weekend. When you're in high school, the work never stops, there's always homework, projects, presentations, tests, quizzes or essays. It makes me want to throw myself down the stairs. 

"Stella," Mr. Alston said. I looked up to see him standing in front of me. "The bell rang. It's the last period, so I suggest you leave."

"Sorry," I mumbled as I stood up to leave. 

Tonight was the night where Bayview held their annual Fire and Ice Ball. Students either wore colours related to fire or ice. Bayview High is known for this dance; it's their most popular event of the whole school year. Everyone goes, and sometimes people from other schools or college students find dates from our school so they can go.

For the past three years, I went with Rebecca even though she was with Logan. She didn't want to ditch me, but I still felt it nonetheless. This year was different; I get to dance with the guy I always wanted. 

•••

The top hugged my curves perfectly. It was embroidered with silver design, and the bottom half of the dress flared out, stopping just above my knees. I paired the dress, with cream coloured high heels.

"You look so good!" Rebecca screamed in excitement. While I represented ice, Rebecca went with fire.

"Are they already inside the venue?" I asked. The school held the Fire and Ice Ball at a hotel ballroom since the principal can get great discounts. 

"I think so," Rebecca leaned into the mirror, fixing her fiery red lipstick. The music was so loud it reached the washrooms at the hotel.

"You can go on ahead. I just need to call my mom."

"Are you sure?" She asked putting her lipstick back into her red clutch. 

"Yeah," I answered. 

"Okay see you later." 

I dialled my mom's number, waiting for her to pick up. I knew she was at work, but I needed to tell her I wasn't coming home tonight. No one answered, so I sent her a text, even though she preferred if I called. 

To Mom:

Won't be home tonight, staying at Becca's. Love you

"Oh Stella, you're the last person I expected to be here." Nikki entered the washroom. As usual, she was wearing a dress that showed off all her 'assets.'

"It's a washroom," I murmured.

She snorted, "poor you. Are you getting flustered again? Does human interaction make you nervous? I want to make something clear; Shawn will always love me. We had the best of times, times that are hard to forget. So if you think you can go prancing into his life as his girlfriend, you're wrong, because knowing him, he's just using you as a rebound. It's a shame really, I have no problems with you, but we will have one if you don't back off. "