5| Masked

"You know I was never really good at slow dancing," I admitted as Lincoln and I made our way through the crowd of couples dancing. I've never slow danced with before, so there was a big chance I sucked at it.

"It's a good thing we're partners then."

"Don't be cocky," I said. Lincoln placed his hand on my lower back. I was hoping it was Shawn who was with me right now. I scanned the tables and the dance floor, but I couldn't see him.

"No," he chuckled. "I suck at slow dancing too, so it's a good thing we're partners because we can be a train wreck together."

Lincoln's voice sounded oddly familiar for someone I didn't know until today. I've certainly talked to him before. Maybe if I saw his face, it would trigger a memory.

"I'm not one for embarrassing myself, although it happens on a regular basis."

"There's nothing wrong with embarrassing yourself," he said. My hand rested at the back of his neck, it was cold to the touch, but it was a nice feeling.

"Not if everyone is laughing at you."

I was always the source of laughter, but not in a good way. People would mess with me and taunt me. There was this time where I was walking in the cafeteria with my tray full of food when someone tripped me. Everyone saw and laughed, but no one helped.

"Teenagers are too caught up in what other people say or think about them when after high school it won't matter. The popularity status, the number of friends, it won't matter when we step across the stage and get our diploma."

"It's still hard to accept the fact that you can't fit in no matter how hard you try," I whispered.

All day, I would worry about the next embarrassing moment. I was so nervous that the palms of my hands would sweat during class. When someone would finally make fun of me; I felt relieved afterwards because it was over. It shouldn't be like that.

"Perhaps you don't fit in, but that doesn't mean you're not worthy," he said in a soft soothing voice. "It just means that you belong to something else, something better."

"I wish I met you sooner," I said.

"But we have all the time in the world. There's no rush in saying goodbyes."

"Maybe we can talk some time at school. I could use another friend."

"You can count on it," he smiled. A man dressed in a black tuxedo approached us and tapped Lincoln's shoulder.

"We need to go," the man urgently said. "They caught on. They know we're here."

"Are you guys okay?" I asked. "What's happening?"

"Sorry Stella, but I need to go. It was nice meeting you." He pulled away, the occasional lights that passed his face revealed that he was anxious and in a rush to leave.

"I'll see you on Monday then," I said.

"Yeah."

The man and Lincoln quickly dispersed into the crowd. The song changed, and everyone was jumping. All the guys were wearing black, and I could no longer distinguish which one was Lincoln.

•••

"Are you sure you want to do this?"Rebecca asked. The students were scattered outside in the parking lot of the hotel ready to go home. Others stayed inside and booked a room, but the majority were heading home.

"I'm sure. Just remember to tell my mom I'm with you if she calls."

My mom answered my text a few minutes after Lincoln left me. She said it was fine if I stayed at Rebecca's house, but in reality, I was staying at Shawn's house.

"Don't worry, I got your back," she leaned against Logan's dark blue car. He was inside looking for Shawn; he didn't answer our calls or texts. "Are you sure you still want to be with Shawn?"

"Of course I do. I've always wanted to be with him; it's all I've ever known."

"Are you saying that because he's one of the hottest guys at Bayview?"

"No, well," I paused. "He is very hot but-"

"You barely know him," she finished my sentence. "That's the thing; you don't know much about each other. How can you fall in love with someone you don't know?"

"You fell in love with Dylan O'Brien," I pointed out.

"That's different; I'm not actually dating him."

"I know," I whined. "I really like Shawn."

"I get it. Just be careful and watch out." She warned. Her phone lit up; it was a text from Logan.

"Do you know something I don't know?"

"Logan says he found Shawn. He was outside in the garden of the hotel. Shawn was on the phone with someone."

"Oh," I murmured.

•••

"Where were you all night?" I asked Shawn as we turned the corner. The thirty-minute drive to his house was quiet. His hands were clenched on the steering wheel; he was tense

He never looked at me; he was too focused on driving.

"I was outside."

"No one saw you, not even your best friend."

"That's the point, Stella, I didn't want to be seen." He bit his lower lip and shut the car engine as we stopped at his driveway. The lights in his house were all turned off. The only source of light was from the lamp posts.

"What's wrong?"

"Family problems," he said. "I have to go visit my uncle in the hospital tomorrow afternoon. So you have to be gone by eight in the morning."

"Do you want me to come with you for support?" I asked.

The last time I visited a sick relative in the hospital was when I was eleven years old. I didn't know her that well, but my mom said it was good to visit people who knew they were dying. It showed them that even if they were on the brink of death, there were still people who loved them. It made them feel loved before their time was over and such simple actions meant the world to them.

"I'm good. Let's go."

I sighed, slamming the door of the car shut. Shawn already rushed inside, leaving me surrounded in my sadness.

She died four days after we visited her. She was only thirty, there were things in life she didn't get to experience. Like getting married and having a family of her own. The simple pleasures of life were denied and stolen from her because she had cancer.

The night of the phone call replayed in my mind. I was playing with my dolls when all of a sudden my mom broke down in tears. That was her cousin, a person she knew well, a person she grew up with and played with. Gone. She vanished from the face of the Earth. My mom cried all night, and I did too. I didn't know her that well, but the thought of dying and leaving this Earth scared me.

I tried to ignore the memory that wanted to creep into my head once again. I couldn't break down and cry. Then I remembered the guy that lived next to Shawn, Eli. The one met in the pizzeria and beach party. Surprisingly, he was standing on his porch all dressed in black, holding a familiar black mask.

a/n Sorry if this chapter triggered something sad from you. But death is something we must all accept is coming sooner or later. Hope you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to comment, vote and share!