12| Distractions

I looked at the ticking clock, counting down every second until the bell would ring. Today was torture. I had no friends, and everyone knew about the breakup. I felt like people could see right through my charade of pretending to be okay. But for some peculiar reason, I didn't care about the others' opinions. And it felt good. 

It felt good to be free from the shackles that bounded me from acting like myself. Now, I was a bird released from its' cage, ready to take flight and explore its' new surroundings. 

I expected the usual loud annoying sound of the bell ringing but instead, a phone dinged during our teacher's explanation of tonight's homework. I didn't realize it was my phone until everyone turned their heads towards me. Good thing the teacher has bad hearing. 

I slid open my phone and saw it was a text from Owen. 

From Owen:

What are you doing after school?

I smiled down at his text. No one ever attempted to hang out with me besides Rebecca.

To Owen:

There's a 50% chance I might get detention due to your bad timing 

From the corner of my eye, I saw Shawn giving me a dirty look. It was a pain to be seated so close to him especially when all I wanted to do was slap him.

From Owen:

I would accompany you but I have plans

To Owen:

What kind of plans are better than sitting in detention with me?

From Owen:

Plans with you, I'll be in the parking lot in 15 minutes. See ya then you rebel

I was about to send another text, but the bell rang. No one left the room faster than me despite the fact that my desk was in the back of the class. Maybe Owen was the distraction I needed from my crazy life. He could help me forget the pain of losing a best friend and boyfriend.

Once I reached my locker, I packed my bag as fast as possible which caused a book to come toppling down, luckily missing my head.  How I survived my clumsiness is beyond me. 

"Watch out, you could hurt yourself," Shawn said picking up the fallen book, handing it to me. I ungratefully yanked it out of his hands, continuing to pack my bag.

"What no thank you?" He asked, waiting for an answer. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have said that, but I miss you, Stella. I made a mistake. I can dump Nikki if you want."

I shut my locker, "what kind of sick game is this? Fool the shy girl and repeat? I'm done with you forever Shawn. So if you can please leave me alone, it will be great."

I began to walk away from him when he yanked me by the wrist, whispering, "I know you're sneaking off with Owen."

"And, so what?" I said as I successfully pulled my wrist away from his calloused hands. 

"He can't replace me," Shawn furiously said. His words left his mouth like venom leaving a snake's fangs.

"Oh, but he already has," I said. I wouldn't let this snake poison me anymore. I'm stronger now.

•••

I looked through the dirty windows of Owen's car. The world through these windows was tainted with dirt and grim. A perfect recreation of what I'm seeing through my own eyes; things never turn out the best for me. First, it was my dad, then mom. The worse thing was she was physically there, but I can no longer feel her love. Then it was Shawn and Rebecca. Everyone eventually leaves, no one stays.