Chapter 2

Ben Campbell --

Ben Campbell
--

School? Is mom nuts? I can't go to a school with shallow minded kids who think "yo" is a greeting. I was taking a walk around the neighborhood thinking about going to school tomorrow. I crossed my arms over my chest. Do I even know where I'm going?

I spotted a playground up ahead and went over there. No body was there so I sat on a swing. "I'm not scared of lions and tigers and bears, but I'm scared of loving you. I'm not scared to perform at a sold out affair, but I'm scared of-"

"You have a beautiful voice."

I gasped and whipped my head around. A boy close to my age was standing there smirking at me. He had  dark hair and light brown eyes.

I frowned. "And you are.."

He stood in front of me now. "Ben. I live across the street from you." I eyed him suspiciously. He smirked. "How old are you?"

"I turned sixteen three weeks ago, you?"

"I'm seventeen. Are you going to start school?"

"No. I'm going to sit at home for the rest of my life and amount to nothing." I rolled my eyes.

"You don't have to be a smart ass. I was just asking a question."

I stood up. "Well you don't have to be a pain in the ass getting into my business."

"Are you all like this?" Ben asked.

I gave him a cold stare. "Don't ever talk to me again, if you are going to make racist comments. I didn't move here for any bull, and I didn't move here to make friends." I turned and started walking back towards my house. I know I'm going to hate living here so much, but for my mother's sake I'm going to have to just deal with it.

--

"Welcome to Whitefield High." The middle aged woman sitting at the office desk smiled genuinely. The name sure fits the school. When I walked in I saw a field of white people. Cameron had already been introduced to a mentor and was in class. I turned my attention back to the lady, her name tag said. MS. RUBINO, COUNSELOR. "I'm sending up a mentor to help you find your classes. She'll be here shortly."

Like clockwork, a knock came at the door and the same girl who brought cookies to our house walked in. I looked away and sniffled at reflex as a sign of disapproval. I decided not to give her a hard time, since she probably thinks my mafia and I are going to jump her.

"This is Taylor Vincent. She'll be your guide today." Ms. Rubino said.

I put on a big smile. "Oh we've met. Her dearest mother made my family cookies to welcome us into the neighborhood." I looked at Taylor and she looked shocked that I was being nice. "What a kind gesture." I put my hand over my chest. "I am very greatful."

The counselor smiled again. "Wonderful! I hope you have a great first day here." She handed me my schedule and locker number. "Come see me any time if you have any problems.

"I will thank you." Taylor and I walked out the door and the hallways were empty since classes were in session. We walked in silence to my first class.

"So are you excited about your first day?" Taylor asked, forcing cheeriness in her voice.

"Not really. Hey I'm sorry about slamming the door in your face the other day."

"It was yesterday." She said in a tiny whisper. I held in my laugh. "I'm sorry I made inaccurate assumptions. It was really rude of me. I'm really not a racist or judgemental person, you know? I just speak before I think, but like..."

"Okay, okay I forgive you." I laughed. She was wierd, but funny.

She smiled. "You have the same lunch as me. I can introduce you to some of my friends."

"Okay." We reached my first class, I was like 25 minutes late.

"You're in a Junior class!" Taylor squealed.

"I skipped fourth grade." I said.

She sighed. "Your so lucky, you get to be with hot guys and I'm stuck with the lame sophmores." I laughed.

When I walked into my class, which was calculus, every single head turned my way. Like I was a magnet or something. Geez, they act like they've never seen a black person before. The teacher hesitated before she spoke. "Hello, you must be Elizabeth West."

"I prefer Lizzy."

She smiled. "Okay, Lizzy, you can take that seat in the back over there." She pointed as if I was blind and couldn't see. There was an empty desk right in the front. Talk about racist. I rolled my eyes and looked at the class. I saw that kid Ben sitting in the front, smirking at me.

I slowly walked to the back of the classroom and took my seat. I kept looking at the clock praying that the bell would ring. The longer I stared at it, the slower it went. I put my head down on the desk. After a few minutes, the bell rang. Everybody rushed out of the classroom. Ben walked up to my desk. "I thought you said you were sixteen."

I didn't look at him. "I skipped a grade."

"Listen, I'm sorry about what I said yesterday. Do you forgive me?" I looked at him and he looked serious.

I slung my backpack over my shoulder. "Yeah, whatever." I saw Taylor standing at the door waiting for me. "Gotta go, see you later." I hurried out of the classroom.

"Were you just talking to Ben Campbell?" Taylor said excitedly.

I scrunched up my nose. "He's not that great, and he lives across the street from us."

"Yeah, but I never talked to him. He's so popular." She said. Then as we were walking I saw Cameron. We waved at and stopped to talk to eachother. He may be my brother but he's like my best friend.

"How's your day going so far?" He asked.

"A lot of stares but I think I'll get used to it."

He laughed. Then he looked at Taylor.

"You remember Taylor, right?" I said.

He nodded and gave me a look that said "Be nice"

Taylor and I continued to walk to my class. "I think Ben's got some competition now." She said randomly.

"What?" I had no clue what she was talking about.

"Your brother is freakin hot, Lizzy!" She twirled a strand of her brunette hair. "I just hope Erin Maguire doesn't see him."

"Who's Erin Maguire?"

We finally reached my second class. "You'll know her when you see her." I sighed and walked into my Anatomy class.

A short guy with a receeding hair line was the teacher. Again, all the attention was put on me. "Welcome to Anatomy." He said. "My name is Mr. Timmer. Take a seat anywhere you want." At least he gave me an option. I walked to a seat in the second row and sat down.

"I think she's in the wrong school, this isn't the projects." Someone behind me whispered. I turned around to look at biatch who said that. A girl with blonde hair who looked like a complete snob, sat behind me.

She smiled at me. I rolled my eyes and turned back around. I had a funny feeling that she was Erin Maguire.

She chose the wrong person to mess with.