Chapter 23

"What..how...who?" I couldn't even form a complete sentence I was so shocked. Jaden jogged down the stairs and we embraced in a huge hug. "Did you get taller?" I noticed he was getting really tall.

"I think so." Jaden grinned at me.

I gasped. "Your voice is deeper. You hit puberty too!"

He chuckled. "Surprise." He said.

I turned to Ben. "Wow so this is why you kidnapped me?"

"Look I'm sorry I had to forcefully get you out of the house, but you were being too difficult." Ben said.

I went over and hugged him. "Thank you for this."

"Me? No, this was all Cameron's idea." Ben explained.

I looked at him confused and noticed Cameron at the corner of my eye leaned up against the wall. I was actually surprised because the whole brother and Jaden thing seemed to make Cameron jealous and feel replaced.

I let go of Ben and walked over to Cameron. "You planned this surprise for me?" I asked. Cameron smiled and simply nodded. "Thanks so much, Cam. It means a lot to me." I hugged him.

"This was really last minute planning. I got Jaden's mom's number from Ben and called her up this morning. I asked if he could spend the week with us since we have the same spring break this week. She eagerly said yes and I left early this morning to go pick him up." Cameron explained. "I needed Ben to get you out of the house for a bit so I could get things ready. He was great at stalling you. "

"Cameron is really cool, Lizzy." Jaden said.

"We got the chance to bond on the drive over here." Cameron went and put his arm around Jaden. "It's like looking at you with a nice fade, Lizzy. You two could be twins." I laughed. "Mom literally bawled her eyes out when she saw him."

"You two can catch up." Ben said. "Cameron and I will be around."

I nodded and remembered my hair was still half slay and half struggle at the moment. "Come on up with me, Jaden. I just need to finish braiding my hair."

We went up to my room. I went back in front of my dresser to continue braiding while Jaden plopped down comfortably onto my bed and gazed around my room.

"You have a really nice house and family, Lizzy." Jaden said admirably.

"Yeah, they are pretty great." I said.

"Your parents must be loaded, because this house is massive."

I chuckled. "Well, I mean I wouldn't say loaded."

"Compared to where Auntie Ella and I live..."

I stopped mid braid and turned around to face him. "What did you just call her?" I asked. I knew last time I saw him, it was clear he didn't know the history of who his adoptive mother really was.

"I know now, Lizzy. She finally told me. After 10 years, she finally told me who she really is."

"I'm sorry. What was your reaction? How did you feel when she told you?" I knew it must have been difficult to grasp.

Jaden shrugged. "I don't know. I mean, I should have known. I was mad she kept it from me, but I guess she had good intentions. She raised me. She hasn't bothered to date or even get married and have her own kids. She has always focused on taking care of me. She's a good mom."

"You're really mature, you know that?" I said continuing to braid.

"You are too." Jaden stood. "Oh, and I told you so." He said.