Chapter 7

I jumped back, surprised and how huge the bear was. I've never been so scared in my life. It stared at Ben and me and moved closer. A weird noise escaped my throat, and I moved backwards.

"Don't move." Ben whispered. Then he suddenly started talking to the freakin bear, as if it understood English!

"We're leaving now. We are not going to hurt you." Ben's voice was soft. It actually worked. The bear settled back onto the ground, seeming calmer than before. "Alright, now back up carefully." He said to me.

He didn't have to tell me twice. As soon as we were out of the bear's sight, I began to run for my life, hoping to put as much distance away from me and that beast.

"Lizzy, slow down!" I heard Ben shout. I stopped running and turned to see Ben jogging towards me. "What is your problem?"

"That bear was going to KILL us. How did you do that?" I asked.

He smirked. "I used to be a boy scout." His eyes averted to my leg. "Oh, you're bleeding." I looked down at my leg and there was a deep cut across my shin.

"It was probably a sharp twig, it's no big deal."

Ben had a concerned expression on his face. "You don't want it to get infected." He motioned for me to sit on the log nearby. He rummaged through his backpack and took out the first-aid kit the teachers gave us.

Ben patted his lap for me to lift my leg up. I was hesitant, because it was a little awkward, but I did anyway. He took out the hydrogen peroxide and poured some onto the cut and it foamed. It started to sting really badly. I bit my lip to fight the pain.

He looked at me. "Does it hurt?"

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK? I let out a nervous laugh. "Just a little."

"I'm sorry. " He touched my leg, and I jumped, startled by his soft touch. He laughed. "You're a little jumpy, aren't you."

I laughed nervously again. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? "No, I'm not."

Ben smirked. "You were scared. Weren't you?"

"I was not that scared!" I lied. "You were probably scared."

"Fine, don't admit it, but I know you were." He said. After Ben cleaned up my leg, he wrapped gauze around it. His touch made me feel, different, in some weird way I can't explain.

"You are really good at this." I complimented.

"I should be if I want to be a surgeon." He said.

"YOU?" I was astonished. "You want to be a surgeon?"

He laughed. "Is that so hard to believe?"

"um, yeah!" I said. When he finished tending to my injury, he gently placed my leg back on the ground. "Thanks."

"No problem."

I looked around. "Uh-oh. It's getting dark." Ever since I was young, I hated the dark. I still even have to sleep with a lamp on. It's always scared me.

"We might as well just sleep out here."

"NO! No, we can't sleep out here." I was starting to panic. "It's not safe." Just then we heard a howling sound in the distance. My eyes widened. "There are wolves out here?"

Ben chuckled and I looked at him and realized I was clinging to his arm tightly. I moved away quickly. "Sorry." I mumbled.

"Don't be scared, we'll be fine." Ben said trying to sound reassuring, but failed. "I won't let anything happen to us."