Chapter 8

"Please." I begged.

"No." Ben said flatly.

We were in homeroom and since we were running out of time the teacher told us to write down a POSITIVE paragraph about our camping partner instead of presenting it to the class. THANK GOODNESS. I was dying to see what Ben wrote about me, but he wouldn't let me have a glance at his paper. I was turned around in my seat and was trying to grab his paper off his desk, but he had his arm covering it.

"Why don't you want me to see it?" I asked, not taking my eyes off his paper.

"Because I don't."

I rolled my eyes. Why did Ben have to be so difficult. "Pleaseeee." I said in a sing song voice.

He smirked and shook his head. "You really don't take 'no' for an answer." His expression turned serious. "You really want to see what I wrote?" I nodded desperately and Ben smiled. "Too bad."

"Jerk." I turned around in my seat and looked down at my finished paragraph. It had nice things about Ben, mainly because we couldn't write anything bad. Then I had a brilliant idea! The teacher always asks us to pass forward our work and so since Ben sits behind me, I can read his paper.

Two minutes later the teacher asked us to pass up the assignment, Instead of passing it to me, Ben got up from his seat and walked all the way to the teacher to give it to her. UNBELIEVEABLE! He smirked at me when he walked by and I saw a glimpse of what he wrote on his paper in his hand. I leaned over in my chair to get a closer look, but I leaned to far and fell out of my chair onto the floor.

I heard a few people laugh, but I didn't care, because what I saw on that paper made me smile. As Ben came walking back to his seat he looked at me like I was crazy since I was sitting in the middle of the aisle.

"What are you doing on the floor?" He asked. "And why are you smiling?"

I automatically frowned after I realized I was smiling like an idiot and sat back in my seat. "No reason."

Then I instantly remembered those four words I managed to see: SHE GIVES ME HOPE. I never thought Ben was capable of putting those words in the same sentence. That was one of the nicest things anyone has said about me in a long time, and it made me feel good about myself.

--

Taylor disregarded her step mom's request and walked home with me that day after school. I told her about my fascinating time camping and how mom's new boyfriend, Luke, was coming over for dinner.

As we walked up the driveway Taylor asked, "Is Cameron home?"

"I think so, why?" I asked.

"Ooooh, yes!" She squealed. I rolled my eyes and pulled open the front door. There were loud noises coming from the living room. Taylor and I walked into the living room, and Cameron, Ben, and this one kid who came here before, but I forgot his name, were in there.

Anyway, they were playing rock band. Cameron was playing the guitar, Ben was playing the drums , and mystery boy was attempting to sing. We stood there and watched them until the song finished playing.

"Dude, you seriously suck at singing, Ryan." Ben said to the mystery kid whose name I just figured out was Ryan.

"Yeah, Lizzy would totally whoop your ass in singing." Cameron said and looked at me. "Right?" I just shrugged. He smiled Taylor and said, "Hey Taylor, I haven't seen you around in a while."

Taylor blushed and smiled idiotically, similar to what I did earlier. "Yeahh." Was all she said then she whispered in my ear. "He noticed I haven't been around! And he smiled at me!" I shook my head and laughed.