Chapter15

Ben’s POV (finally)

“Stop.” She said sternly but struggled to keep that beautiful smile off her caramel brown face. “I mean it, stop. I won’t get anything done if you keep this up.”

I chuckled and continued tracing kisses along her jaw line. All these months I resisted the urge to kiss her and hold her in my arms, now that I have the chance I will not take it for granted. Lizzy looked so cute while she was trying to concentrate on her math homework. The way her eyebrows would furrow as she studied the unit circle made me smile.

“Just one last kiss and I’ll leave you alone.” I said leaning my face close to hers.

She held her pencil still in her hand after listening to my request. “Fine.” As soon as her lips touched mines, I deepened the kiss. I expected Lizzy to pull away from me because I didn’t specify what kind of kiss I meant, but I heard her let go of her pencil and put her hands on my shoulders. I wrapped my arms around her. Our lips moved in sync and I didn’t want the kiss to end.

After we were both breathless, we parted. I gazed into Lizzy’s Chocolate brown eyes and said, “I’ll let you finish your work…for now.” I winked and she laughed.

“I think Cameron is in his room.” She said picking up her pencil again and proceeding with her trigonometry homework. “He’s probably feeling neglected by the fact that you are even in here with me instead of him.”

“Alright.” I got up and headed towards Cameron’s room. The door was slightly closed, but I opened it anyway. It was a bad idea because Cameron and Taylor were in there doing exactly what Lizzy and I were just doing in her room a few minutes ago. He definitely didn’t care that I was with Lizzy. So much for neglect.

I cleared my throat to make my presence known, but they still were going at it. I tried clearing my throat again and this time they stopped and looked in my direction.

“Dude, How long have you been standing there?” Cameron asked.

“Long enough to know that I have seen way too much.” I said.

“Oops, sorry.” Taylor giggled and her cheeks flushed.

I chuckled and shook my head, “No problem.”

“I should probably go start my homework.” Taylor says while sliding off Cameron’s bed.

“Lizzy’s in her room doing hers; You might as well go in there and join her.” I said.

“Will do.” She says walking quickly past me out of the room.

“She’s cute when she’s embarrassed, right?” Cameron says looking after Taylor as she walked out of the room.

I just shrugged and took a seat at Cameron’s desk. “I need advice.” I said randomly.

Cameron just stared at me. “On what?”

I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed. “Lizzy….me and Lizzy…us. She’s uncomfortable when we are out in public and I guess I can’t blame her, but I don’t want her feeling that way.

Cameron nodded. “You have to understand something about my sister, Ben and about this town. You and I may not see a big deal with interracial dating, but they do. Lizzy senses that.  Even when you two were not together, she still faced discrimination.”

“I just wish it all stopped. I wish there was something I could do to change things.” I started fidgeting with a pencil on his desk.

“Go out.”

I looked up at Cameron. “To where?”

He just shrugged. “I don’t know. Go grab something to eat. Show her that you don’t care what other people think. Let her know she can be herself with you.”