Chapter 30

Lizzy's POV

So, yes. I got expelled from school. I wasn't allowed within like a hundred feet of the premises like I was some criminal. Yeah Okay. Why Cameron and I got different forms of punishment is beyond me. Luckily, we only had a couple of weeks left of school so my teachers let me take my final exams online. So after all that happened I was forced to come clean to my mom about how the kids at school were racist and I didn't like them at all and was basically miserable. My mom took legal action and sued the school for discrimination and she won the case. She and my dad also had to research schools nearby that I could go to since I couldn't go back to Whitefield High, which I wasn't too entirely disappointed about. They weren't mad at me or Cameron for getting into a fight, but actually they were proud of us for standing up to our peers even though it was in a pretty violent way.

They found a school about twenty-five minutes from our house and dug deeply into its demographics. It was a diverse school with blacks, whites, hispanics, etc. My comfort was their biggest priority so it sounded fine with me. MLK High School would be where I would spend my senior year of high school.

The summer went by pretty fast. I spent a lot of time with Ben, Taylor, and my family. It was going to be weird not going to school with Ben, Cameron, or Taylor anymore, but thankfully they lived close to me so I could see them everyday. I just needed to make friends at school, but I didn't expect that to be a problem.

-

Today was the day. The first day of school. I had straightened my hair and wore a denim button up shirt with black leggings and my brown moccasins. Atleast now I could make my car useful. I made my way downstairs and grabbed a banana from the kitchen and was about to head out the door when I heard Cameron call my name from the top of the stairs.

"Hey, wait up, Lizzy." He said as he slung his back over one of his shoulders and jogged down the stairs. "I'll drop you off."

"You don't have to, Cameron. It's completely out of your way and I can just drive."

"It's fine. I want to drop you off on your first day of school. Just let me." He said and I decided not to argue with him. We walked outside and I glanced across the street at Ben's house. His red corvette was in the driveway. I was going to miss walking to school with him. Cameron and I tossed our backpacks in the trunk, got into his BMW and he drove twenty-five minutes to my new school. It was a huge brick building. Not as physically appealing as Whitefield High, but the amount of diversity I saw made it all the more beautiful. Groups of friends of all races walking together passed by us in the car.

There was a lot of traffic going into the school. "I can get just get out here and walk. You're gonna be late for school if you wait in this traffic." I told Cameron as I unbuckled my seat belt.

"It's okay, I'll just find a parking spot." Cameron said driving around the traffic.

I laughed. "What, are you gonna walk me to main entrance too?"

"Yes." Cameron said with a straight face.

"Suit yourself, dad." I settled back into my seat.

Cameron found a parking spot and we both got out of the car. I actually couldn't believe he was serious about walking me to the front door of the school. The trunk popped open and I reached in and grabbed my backpack. As soon as I was about to pull it closed Cameron stopped it from closing and grabbed his backpack.

I chuckled "You gonna follow me around all day and pretend like you go here?"

"I don't have to pretend." He slammed the trunk closed and then grinned at me. I was utterly confused by what he meant.