Musings

For so many years, suicide has been condemned as a selfish act. I mean, the individual obviously thought of his own struggles before those of others, right? Apparenltly so. In terms of religion (growing up Catholic) we were taught that our bodies are the temples of God, or the Holy Spirit, or something. We should do anything we can to keep it clean, to keep it pure, if you will, because it is not ours, only something borrowed from the Heavenly Father or something like that. The list of 'unholy things to do to your body' include tattoos, piercings, self harm, and obviously, suicide. I see how they lack perspective when it come to the last two items on the lovely little list. You see, to them (or to you, if you believe this too) self harm is, to put it simply, damaging/hurting yourself, your body, your supposed temple. I guess I see how it can be considered a bad thing to do to your body, but I mean, what caused it in the first place? A miscalculation, a misjudged situation. Not by the person no, but by God. Now I know you insist He is perfect and does not make mistakes, but hear me out on this. If He were, let's say, give a trial or challenge to a certain person, who He thinks could handle it but turns out cannot, this person would look for alternative ways to distract himself from the perils at hand, right? One of the possible things they could turn to is self harm, if the concept of praying to something that does not physically manifest itself in his life is too absurd. Suicide, on the other hand, guarantees ultimate damnation, a one way ticket to hell. But if you think about it, if God created everything in the world, and He could see it as well, He'd surely know about poverty, rape, bullying, loneliness, and the like, right? Wouldn't He be able to comprehend, with His wisdom , that it is all simply too much for some people? In fact, if He's everything I'd been taught He was, wouldn't He at least apologize to the man who took his own life before sending him to hell?