Leaving

Halfway through your dance rehearsal, Taemin came barging in through the door. 

"What are you doing!?" Hara yelled.

You could see more of a sad look in his eyes, and you immediately realised that something wasn't right. 

"What's wrong?" You asked.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your rehearsal, but could we talk to (y/n) for a few minutes? Please?"

Despite the glare the two of you received from Hara, she let you have a five minute break, allowing you to talk with Taemin. You saw the other four guys waiting outside, some pacing up and down the corridor. Why were they acting so strangely? 

Jonghyun noticed you first and ran up to you, holding you tightly. At first you were taken aback, but then you hugged him back, as he buried his head into your shoulder. 

"Hey, what's wrong?" You whispered.

Jonghyun lifted his head slightly but put it back down again within seconds, refusing to say anything. You looked up at the others, who were equally unwilling to speak.

"Taemin, what did you need to talk to me about, that was so important that you couldn't wait forty minutes for me to finish dance practice?" You asked.

"Uhhhh," Taemin faltered. 

You rolled your eyes, becoming more impatient.

"Lee Soo-man has just told us that we're going on another tour," Onew blurted out. 

"That's great though!" You forced a smile, fully aware of what was going to happen. 

"But, (y/n), we won't be in South Korea.." Minho explained, although you already understood. 

"How long are you going to be away for?" You chirped, trying to stay positive.

"Between six months to a year," Jonghyun said, muffled, pulling out of the hug with puffy eyes and messy hair.

"Hey, it'll be okay," You smiled sadly, pushing strands of Jonghyun's hair back into their place. 

"You're acting as if it's the end of the world! It will be okay," You repeated.

"...We're leaving tomorrow morning," Onew murmured.

Your heart dropped along with your fake smile, and it felt like you were falling, trapped in a never-ending nightmare. You let out a little cough and couldn't bring yourself to look at any of them. 

Was this Lee Soo-man's way of punishing you for dating Onew? Did he realise that removing them from your life could potentially cause you to have a mental breakdown? Did they realise? 

Your legs began to shake, and you covered your face with your hands. Instantly, Jonghyun wrapped his arms around you. Then Onew's, then Key's, then Taemin's, and then Minho's. This was more than friendship. This was family. These were the people who took care of you while you were stuck in a brand new country with no one you knew around you. They were there, always, no matter what. 

You could hear Hara's voice ringing from the dance studio, but you felt less like dancing than you ever had before. 

"We'll see you again in about thirty minutes," 

"Why?" You sniffled.

"You're still coming with SM to the Mnet Asian Music Awards, right?" Key smiled encouragingly. 

"I'm not nominated for anything though.." 

"Aishhh! But we are! And EXO, Girls Generation, and all those bands we did the collaboration with!"

"Sorry.. Of course I'll be there.. SHINee hwaiting!" You said, your hand slipping out of Jonghyun's as you reluctantly went back into the dance studio. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You excited for the MAMA awards ceremony?" Hara asked, packing her iPod into her bag.

"Yeah.." You replied unenthusiastically. 

You couldn't even believe you were behaving this way. You were disappointed in yourself. You were selfish to even want them to stay with you and quit the tour, but you couldn't help but wish it. You were being immature, you should be happy for them. 

"Come on, stop being such a downer," Hara pouted, as the both of you left for the awards. 

SHINee, EXO, Girls Generation, and the other nominees were all backstage, as they had arrived earlier than you, to prepare for the announcements.

You got to sit in the special seating area, quite close to the stage, with other SM employees and rookies. You were sat in between Hara and Lee Soo-man, although you had no intentions of talking to him tonight. 

The audience soon piled in, about an hour later, reminding you of the collaboration concert. After the hosts introduced themselves, the performances and awards began. While they were being announced, you were constantly standing up to applaud and congratulate the winners. As the show went on, the atmosphere became more tense, there were only a few awards left to give out. SM were being very complacent, as EXO, Girls Generation, Taeyeon, and f(x) had already won awards. You had also noticed that Big Bang were winning a few awards too. You were so happy for Tzuyu when you saw that Twice had won the best female group newcomer award. She was crying and hugging Sana the whole time she was up on that stage.

The best male group dance performance award was going to be announced next, and you were sure that SHINee was going to win it. They didn't seem as confident as you. You turned around and gave them two thumbs up. 

And sure enough, you were right, they won the award!!!

Onew jumped up screaming, but calmed down after he realised that this was being recorded. You stood up to congratulate them, but you weren't standing up for long. Jonghyun picked you up and twirled you around, grinning the whole time. You tapped him so he would put you down, and went to hug the other members before they went on stage. Taemin tripped up on the step, and you giggled as Key had to help him up. You could tell he was embarrassed, as he put his hand to his forehead. You felt bad thinking that of all things, that was the highlight of your entire day.

When they came back off the stage, they got pats on the back from Lee Soo-man, who was smiling. He probably had a bet with JYP or YG about how many awards they would win...

"You'll be winning awards yourself soon enough," Lee Soo-man said to you.

You nodded at him, staying silent. For now.