Two teens to save the day

Star and Marco stood just outside of the control room. The blonde couldn't keep her eyes off her newly - upgraded wand. Something didn't seem right. Stan, after witnessing what Star's wand could do, knew the perfect way that the two teens could be at his assistance. He had ordered them to keep a stable force field around the portal to keep it from destroying more of the town. Star was up for the challenge, but Marco didn't seem as enthusiastic about it.

"Star, I don't think this is safe." Marco began from behind Star. "Your wand could be...unstable. I mean, it just exploded and now you're going to try to use it again?"

Star knew it sounded insane. She didn't need Marco's logic to help her understand it, either. Tracing a finger across the split star on her wand, she wondered if her wand would cooperate.

Why did her wand only have half of its star? And if it was supposed to have a whole star in the center, then where did the other missing piece go?

Star shook the thought aside. "We have to at least try." She said. "This portal is our only chance at getting back home."

Marco begged to differ. "I'm sure my parents are back home, worrying about us. They would come looking for us. We'd be all over the news by now."

"What good will that do?" Star argued back. "All they can do is hope that we come back. And right now, this portal is our only hope."

Marco stepped back, a bit puzzled. He had never heard Star be so serious. And yes, she was right. The police can't do anything unless they have witnesses or any evidence. It was up to them on finding a way to bring themselves home. Marco's eyes descended into the portal that swirled and increased its speed. He stared up at the red numbers on the timer that counted down.

Only two more minutes.

Marco stepped back, letting Star take control. He watched her long, golden locks blow around aggressively from the portal's physical power. But when she pivoted her head around to face the Mexican, he felt his knees go weak. He felt his head get dizzy. She had sky blue pearls for eyes and her enchanting, fair hair that soared. The portal's blue glow gave her silhouette figure a breathtaking touch. Marco's mouth fell open and his cheeks began to redden.

Star was...beautiful.

Star saw the way Marco blushed and dropped his jaw. It was like watching his face when Jackie passed by in the school hallway.

But something was different. Marco's eyes lit up. Star could see it. She could notice it from a mile away. Marco had that sparkle in his eyes, something Star never saw when Marco caught a glimpse of his crush, Jackie.

"Is he staring at me?" Was Star's only thought before a voice broke through.

"C'mon!" Stan declared from the shattered control room window. He threw his arms up in frustration. "What are you waiting for?!"

In the control room, Stan peered over his shoulder to where Dipper sat on the ground. The twelve-year-old tucked his legs into his body, his knees touching his chest, his arms rested on top of his knees. He kept his head down so he didn't have to look at Stan, or anything, for that matter. Dipper didn't want anything to do with this. He sensed the light of the monster from where he sat. He didn't care about anything anymore. By his side, Mabel stared grievingly at him, keeping a hand on his shoulder. She didn't say a word to Dipper.

"Dipper." Stan muttered, approaching the two twins slowly and solemnly.

The boy picked up his head from burrowing it in his knees. He didn't answer verbally, but let his great uncle talk.

"You're about to see what I've been fighting for all these years." His Grunkle said, then leaving him alone with Mabel, back to the controls.

Star sighed. "Let's do this." She whispered to herself. With that, she lifted her wand, fixing her posture at the same time. The wand's half golden star swelled up with magical energy. Star wasn't prepared for what came next. The wand shook with a vicious might. It couldn't handle the spell that was being summoned upon it, causing it to shake and heat up. As simple as the magic trick was, the wand just couldn't take it. The blonde felt her wand's sudden, unexpected blast, causing her to fall backwards. The wand flung itself away from Star's grip. Star stumbled backwards, almost tumbling to the tough ground. The impact of her incoming doom would have hurt her, if it wasn't for Marco's smooth save. He caught the girl with both strong arms, holding her up by her armpits.

He opened his mouth to speak, only to be silenced by Star. "Don't. Say it."

Ignoring her, Marco said it anyway. "I told ya' so." On his face, he wore a teasing smile.

Star released herself from Marco's arms to go after her wand. In the background, the timer had now reached one minute. Finally reaching one minute, the female, robotic voice came in. "59, 58, 57..."

"Okay," Star began. "Let's try this again." She proceeded to pick up her wand and do the spell again. Her fingers make sure they gripped on tighter this time. Her feet made sure to keep her body stuck in its place - no falling over this time. She closed her eyes and began.

Gravity, on the other hand, had a better idea. It disappeared, just like that. Star and Marco were lifted into the air, followed by Stan, Mabel, and Dipper from the other room. Everything else that was not completely grounded went with them. Dipper had no choice, but to stop his pouting.

Marco, with his lightening - quick thinking, grabbed onto a metal pipe. Unfortunately for Star, she was practically floating with nothing to hold her down.

"Star!" Marco tried calling out to his best friend. He wrapped his right arm around the pipe, using his left arm to reach out as far as he could to Star. She was only a few feet away from him. If he could just reach out another foot, he could grab her ankle.

The portal roared in front of them, illuminating more colors than ever. "Take my hand!" Marco demanded to Star.

The blonde tilted her head to look at Marco better. Then, she gazed out in front of her. Her thick hair and green dress lightly levitated in mid air. That's when it hit Marco. Star had lost her wand. She was trying to reach out for it. Being incredibly cautious, he let some of his grip go from the metal pipe. Instead of wrapping his arm around it, he held onto it with his hand. He hoped he would get more farther out to finally reach the girl.

"Star!" He yelled once more.

Star turned back to him, yelling back. "Marco! I need you to push me!"

"What?"

"I almost got it! I need a push!"

Marco witnessed her struggle to grab her wand. Both his hands grasped on the pipe. Outstretching his foot, he gave what Star asked for, kicking the sole of her foot, her body moving gently forward. It was enough for her to seize hold of her magical device, making her laugh with excitement. Now back in her possession, the wand assembled its magic. The wand's successful force field brought a huge relief to everyone. It covered the portal like a purple, see - through blanket.

Stan and the twins landed roughly back to the ground with a thud. Dipper let out a breath of fresh air. He laid on his back, looking up at the ceiling. Mabel, however, was already on her way out the door to meet up with Star and Marco.