Imposter

Marco's eyes were disoriented and transformed - yellow with black cat eye pupils. His cackle was hysterical and pure madness. He had been deceived and his soul was no longer his own. Marco was no longer Marco. It was Bill Cipher.

He got up off of the ground from which Marco was sleeping and he grinned widely at the blonde-headed girl on the couch.

"Star! Star, hey! Wake up!" Marco called out to Star. He tried to yell as loud as he could, but she wouldn't even as much as flutter an eyelid. "C'mon! I need your help! Wake up!" He reached his hands out to shake her. Unfortunately, his hands slipped right through her as if he was a ghost. He pulled back with terror in his eyes. He gazed at his hands and used one hand to touch the other only for it to pass right through his own body. "Wha-my body! What's happening?"

"Man, you mortals really are gullible!" Bill announced, testing out his new puppet by moving his fingers and laughing.

"What did you do to me?" Marco questioned, trying to keep his voice in a whisper, trying not to wake Star.

"No need for whispering, Yin Yang. Sleeping Beauty can't hear you. You're in the Mindscape. No one can hear you!" He let out a short chuckle, watching Marco's face fill with fright and worry. "Thanks to you, I have your physical body. Which means I can do whatever I like!"

Marco, with all his anger, attempted to attack Bill. However, when Marco came at Bill, he went right through him and Bill continued to walk past him and into the gift shop. Marco, expecting to fall flat on his face, prepared for the pain of the wooden floor. When he opened his eyes, he realized he hadn't fallen at all. Actually, he was floating - just like a ghost. He let out a yelp of fear and then covered his mouth, as if still thinking he was in his physical body. When he realized that he was just a drifting soul, he let go of his mouth and looked back at Star with a moan.

Bill entered the vending machine passageway. He knew exactly where Ford had hid the rift and thought it was all too easy - the deal, the passcode on the vending machine, and the rift. The door opened with a long moan and creak and Bill stepped into the dark staircase and down the elevator.

Star was coming back, slowly, into consciousness. She yawned and stretched her legs and arms on the small, limited space of the couch. A low, rumbling noise had awoken her from her deep slumber. With her tired and weary eyes, she peeked down at the empty sleeping bag on the floor. Star, sleepy and not yet awake, didn't know what to think. Maybe Marco had been kidnapped again or maybe he just went to the bathroom.

Star got out of her blanket, grabbed her wand, and went on a man hunt. She decided to check the kitchen first before overhearing someone in the gift shop. The elevator sounded a ring before letting out a humming noise. Star turned her head, her eyes now enlarged and alive. She kept her eyes squinted due to the darkness. The only light source came from the fish tank in the living room.

"Marco?" She said, in a hushed voice to the gift shop as she entered it. She turned her head to the right to discover something out of the ordinary. The vending machine's door was left open a quarter. Star poked her head to the staircase that followed after the entrance before looking out into the silent and pitch black gift shop, sighing, and entering. As she descended further and further down to the dreary and unsettling basement, worry struck her.

Ford had strictly told her not to go into the basement anymore. She was afraid to be caught by him, not knowing how she would be punished for doing so. When the elevator stopped at the bottom floor and rang, the double doors slid open to reveal the machinery, buttons, and levers that once beeped, flashed, and hummed, but now, had fallen silent.

There was a figure in the distance. It was moving at the work desk. A boy with dark hair and a regular grey T-shirt stood there. "Marco? Is that you?" Star mumbled, not sure who it was from where she stood in the elevator. Star took out her wand and fired it up to use as a flashlight. With one careful step, she approached him as if he was dangerous. With her hand hovering over his turned back, Star tried to cautiously make contact with his shoulder.

Bill smiled hugely. This was too perfect. The moment he felt the girl's gentle touch on his right shoulder, he spun around swiftly. Star stepped back, suddenly startled by his actions. His crooked grin and hysterical laughter kept Star walking backwards, away from her best friend.

"Ah, Devil Horns!" Bill said with great volume.

"Marco. What are you doing? How'd you-?" Losing her words, Star's gaze fell onto a globe in his hand that seemed to glow and illuminate off of both of their faces.

"What if I told you there was a way to fix your little...dilemma?" Bill said. He held up the rift to his face so he could admire it.

"Marco Diaz!" Star commanded. "What has gotten into you?"

"Don't you mean who?" Bill stated. "After all, there is more than meets the eye." Bill laughed, enjoying his clever play on words as he widened his demonic eyes, hoping Star would figure it out for herself.

"If you don't start making sense, I'll use my wand to knock it into you." Star protested with her wand raised up at Marco.

"How?" Bill said, turning his back away from her triggered wand as if not to be worried about it.

"What?" Star lowered her wand, but only halfway.

"How will you? Your wand has been split into two. No offense, toots, but you are pathetic. You're just lucky your spells don't come out deformed or misunderstood."

"Hey, now you listen to me!"

"No. You listen to me, Devil Horns! That wand is useless in your possession! All it ever caused you was trouble!" Bill raised his hand high and slapped Star's wand clean out of her hand. It went sliding to the ground, until it was out of Star's reach.

"Marco!"

"You poor, naive, little girl! You have no idea how much trouble you've caused everyone! You're a screw-up!"

"Marco, stop it! This isn't like you at all!"

Bill's anger raged, yet he found enjoyment in every second that he drove the wedge deeper between Marco and Star's friendship. "The truth hurts, doesn't it? Everything is all your fault! First, you give the teacher a nonreversible troll spell, then you turn the football field into a battlefield-"

"I thought you forgave me for that!" Star cried out, but Bill wasn't done.

"You lost your scissors, got hopelessly lost in another dimension, and then, destroy your wand! But..." Bill took Star's hand and stretched it out in front of her. He placed the rift in the palm of her hand and took her other hand to hold onto it as well. He kept her hands onto it, holding it into her own hands before finishing his sentence. "We can fix all that."

Bill knew he had hammered the wedge as deep as he could by Star's sorrowful and teary eyes. Star didn't resist Marco's hands on her own. She was in too much shock. "Break the rift. Break it so we can go home...and fix it all." Bill lied through his - Marco's - teeth. He supported Star's chin with a single hand so that their eyes met. "The choice is your's, Devil Horns." He finally said with a normal tone.