Broken hearts, corrupted minds

Ford could practically feel Marco's pain as if it were contagious. They made it up the stairs, but with a slow and excruciating pace. At one step, Marco's hand tightened with strict hold on Ford's shoulder and the old man knew he was going down again.

When Marco did hit the ground and made a loud thump, he felt strong empathy for him. The pain of his own body experience after Bill would continuously overuse his body until it was sore, made Ford see Marco as if the boy was himself. He had to look away from the boy who struggled to catch his breath while trying to get up quickly.

"It's okay." He said to the wall behind them and the staircase. "Just take your time." When Marco didn't get up with success and his breathing was sharpening, Ford kneeled down next to him. "My boy, are you alright?" Marco couldn't seem to hear his voice, unfortunately. He blocked it out. Instead, he thought of the numb, yet still sharp, pain his body was in.

"Yeah, fine. Just tired." Marco said with surprising breath strength. Ford's worries were silenced when Marco began to stand up and walk once more. Even though he was in pain and exhausted, Marco pushed on. His eyes couldn't keep themselves open and his muscles were so weak. His legs shook with every careful step and his head pounded with every little movement. Still, he pushed on.

By the time they got to the hallway of the second floor to Ford's room, Marco stopped unexpectedly. "Marco?" Ford said, but the boy was already collapsing. Marco's arm fell loose from Ford's shoulder and his body became drooped. He hit the wooden floor with a tremendous, ground-shaking, frightening drop. "Woah, woah, woah!" Ford exclaimed, increasing every word with more volume and fright. Ford was already by his side, on one knee, checking Marco's pulse. When his pulse was steady and normal next to his own, Ford sighed with depth.

"Ford!" Stan's annoyed and awakened voice intruded by his own bedroom door. He rubbed his eyes and leaned up against the doorframe lazily. "What is your deal? It's one in the morning!"

"He's fine. Thanks for your concern." Ford shot back with squinted eyes, referring to Marco.

Stan fixed the glasses on his face and looked down at Marco, who was unconscious. "Oh, so now you're killing the kids. That's just great."

"He's not dead!" Ford informed Stan. "He just fainted. It's perfectly normal for...well, what he's been through." As he struggled to find the words for Marco's case, he made hand gestures, circling his hands around one another.

"Perfectly normal, huh?" Stan argued back, his anger flooding up to his head. "Y'know, last I checked, kids don't just drop to the ground, unless they've been kicked in the stomach by a mule! I thought I told you to stay away from the kids! I knew you'd be trouble for them!"

"I had nothing to do with this, Stanley! I was actually trying to protect them!" Before they both knew it, their fight had attracted Dipper and Mabel. They came up the stairs together and still had sleep lingering in them.

"What's going on?" Dipper yawned.

"Can't you guys wait until morning to fight?" Mabel commented with her raspy, unused, sleepy voice. Her eyes fell to the floor where Marco laid, then back up at her Grunkles. "What happened? Is he okay?"

"Yes, he's fine." Ford stepped in. "Marco just needs to rest." He, then, proceeded to lift Marco up, carrying him by his back and then his legs. With a hundred pounds of dead weight in his arms, Ford took the boy to his room and set him down, gently.

. . .

Marco quickly jerked forward, making Ford leap out of his seat. The ice pack on his forehead dropped into his lap as he sat up so suddenly. Thinking Marco was in a panic, Ford calmed him. "Hey, woah. Easy there. You're okay."