Secrets under floorboards

"Hey, Mom and Dad. It's me - Marco." The boy lost his words, beginning to wonder what he should say next. He held the phone up to his ear, relief washing over him that he was able to actually able to have enough service to call. Though he wasn't sure if his parents were even home or got his call, he still left a voicemail.

With a chortle, he finally went on. "Star and I are safe. Don't worry. We've been staying with a nice family in Gravity Falls, actually. There's kids here, too - Dipper and Mabel." Marco smiled and laughed to himself. Maybe he was being overly reassuring, but he really wanted them to know he was okay. "They're awesome. I wish you could meet them. I'm sorry for not being able to call for a while. We're fine. We'll be home soon...I promise. I miss you guys. Call you again if I get the chance. Okay, bye."

Marco hung up the phone, breathing out with the weight on his chest gone. Still, he wondered if his parents would ever get his voicemail. The same moment he was, Dipper came into the gift shop. "Any luck?" He asked casually with his hands stuffed in his vest pockets.

"Just a voicemail." Marco stated without looking up from tapping his fingers playfully on the black touchscreen. "I guess the call didn't go through."

"Ah, Dipper and Marco?" Ford chimed in from behind, his bag of scrolls in his hand. "Come with me. We still have unfinished business. If Mabel and Star are unsuccessful, we need to have a Plan B."

Ford went up to the vending machine, pressing in the numbered code. Everytime he pressed the buttons, they beeped until the door to the basement finally breathed open with a soft and clean noise. "Follow me." He stated, making the two boys look at each other for reassurance before leaving the cashier counter.

Marco could still feel the ache in his ribs as he got up. It could easily be ignored, but it was still there. As they all descended further down the dark staircase and to the elevator, Marco could feel the unsettling atmosphere hit him. The basement under the shack was anything but his favorite place. Not only was it dark and downright disturbing, the basement was nothing other than bad memories to him.

Ford pressed the button on the elevator and it rang, taking them down one floor before coming to sudden halt. A wooden door decorated with thin lines of golden wire had appeared. There was a shining, golden keyhole in the center of the door, yet Ford neglected it, opening the door by its knob as if a key was not needed.

"Here we are." Ford said, moving forward into the room as Marco and Dipper still lingered in the doorway with awe.

"Woah." Marco whispered, though the sound of his voice traveled as an echo through the empty and cold room anyway. "I thought all you had down here was that portal."

"Grunkle Ford," Dipper began, scanning around the still and dusty room. His eyes had to squint in order to make out only some of the dark objects. It seemed everything was covered over a sheet or collecting more and more dust. "What is this place?"

"Just another floor in the basement I used during my studies many years ago."

As Ford spoke with his back turned, Dipper caught something gleaming at him through the corner of his eye. It was the only thing that shone in the blackened room. The boy couldn't resist and curiosity got the best of him.

At the same moment, Ford looked up and focused on Dipper. "Dipper?" The twelve-year-old jumped, dropping the draping sheet from his hold of the shiny rectangular object that leaned up against the wall. "Come along, kids." He insisted.

Ford held up the helmet that appeared to also have a few wires attached to the very top. "If we can't protect the shack from Bill, we have to do the next best thing - protecting our minds." Ford held up the helmet as if to show it off to them.

"With that thing?" Marco chuckled. "Looks like it was made with a kitchen strainer."

"Not exactly, but it does appear that way, doesn't it?" Ford played along, admiring the helmet as if he was seeing it in Marco's perspective. With one finger, Ford flipped a switch on the side of the helmet, stretching out the claws as if to prepare it to be closed on a person's head. "Now," Ford started. "Who's first?"