Take No Prisoners

When I awoke the morning after the stable master was killed I cried almost immediately. I cried for a long time and Kall was there, holding me silently. Finally I rallied myself and got up to change. Kall watched me, quiet. Blue lion eyes tracking me back and forth as I slipped into a blue frock and brushed my hair sloppily. I had to talk to Alec. He witnessed two things I'd rather he'd not. With his ears anyway.

"What does my queen wish from me?" He finally asked very low, uncertain.

"I wish for you to be mine...not your soul, just your heart." I said softly, a slight quiver in my voice. He crawled from the bed finally and came to fall at my feet. He pressed his warm naked body against me and closed his eyes. Arms sliding around my waist. I stroked his hair and sighed. "I wish you could stay here with me in my room but you cannot. Maybe one day if you choose to be here one day. I have to get older." I said.

"I know. I know you need me to not cling too much now as well but maybe we can have dinner together tonight, feed me duck from your pretty pale fingers?" He said smiling a little, uncertain still.

I saw the animal in him well at times. He liked eating meat from my hand, he had no idea why nor did he question it. Eating from my hand had become a familiar comfort and he enjoyed it. He liked duck the best because they're so juicy. The greasiness would coat my hands and when no one was really paying him mind he was licking them clean. I had to restrain myself at times lest my eyes roll back in my head as he sucked on my fingertips. Especially when I felt them tickled over the tips of his sharp fangs.

I smiled as best as I could. "That sounds nice." I agreed. He frowned. He took my hand lightly in his own. His eyes became big and glossy.

"Do you love me?" He asked very hushed. I was a little taken aback.

"Yes, you don't want to love me though." I said softly, looking down.

"I want you to love me little lioness. Your love makes me feel hope. I am scared to love you. I just don't understand such a powerful and conflicted emotion. It makes me feel...small." He replied. I nodded. I understood. I usually understood him even when he didn't. I smiled at him, wondering things.

"How old are you Kall?" I asked. Long time coming really, I'd just never bothered to ask.

"I turned twenty three in the back of that supply wagon, on my way here." He said bluntly. He smiled lightly. He wasn't being sarcastic or harsh, just honest.

"You're younger than I thought." I replied.

"Lionvayne grow fast." He agreed.

I put on a cloak because it was getting too cold to run around without one anymore. "I need to go see Alec. I will see you soon." I pulled him close for a hug and some reassuring kisses then I left for the barn.

When I entered the barn I forced myself to not look at the rail where it happened. My heart felt like a cold stone knowing I would never walk in here and see Dannale working again, because he had thrown my friendship away and my lover had killed him.

Alec gave me a gloomy, disgusted look when I arrived. He was looking shabby after both Kall and I getting a hold of him. "I'm sorry I beat you like I did Alec but I love Kall and I'm scared you're going to do something to take him away from me." I told him openly. He looked at the ground for a moment.

"I heard what he did to Dannale in the dining hall. I don't want to fight him anymore, even I'm scared of him." He admitted.

"You can't tell anyone about Kall and I. Please Alec." I pleaded.