Brothers

I looked out the window of the carriage at the fading sky and sighed hard. "I think I may die of boredom before we get there." I complained. Kall snickered and leaned over to kiss my neck.

"You need to relax my lioness, we have a long trip ahead of us still. At least another week." He reminded me. I groaned my frustration and curled against him on the seat.

He stroked my hair tenderly, very quiet but he kept looking down at me until finally I had to ask what he was thinking. He sighed softly and then nodded. "I didn't want to ask you this but I must. Demian...did you bleed while I was away because you have not since I have been home?" He said in a low, gentle tone.

I looked down at my hand curled around his bicep and my eyes became blurry. I was not sure what to say. I had put it out of my head as long as I could, I now had to face the fact that I had not bled since Dannale had his way with me. I was a couple weeks late at this point.

After a lengthy span of silence he sighed very softly. "I see. Don't fret my lioness. I love you no less for it. If there is to be a child I will just consider myself the father." He replied. He squeezed me gently around the shoulders and kissed the top of my head but I felt no comfort at his words.

"I don't want to have his child." I stated dryly. My voice was faint. I still held much hope that I was not pregnant though. I had been late a couple times as a virgin and that thought had been the only reason I was able to put it aside until now.

He gently pulled me up into his lap and lifted my chin so he could look into my eyes. "Demian, I am content to let you have the baby if there is to be one. I will raise it with you as its father but if you truly cannot bear it there is another way." He said softly. I blinked in shock. Slowly I shook my head.

"No Kall, I could never leave my offspring to suffer in the hands of those who do not love it." I replied, slightly horrified he would suggest it.

"No my queen of course not, nor would I. When a female lionvayne does not want more children sometimes they will end an unwanted pregnancy with a special remedy. I know what plants are needed and how to make it. It must be done very early though, before your belly starts to grow. Just consider it, if you do not want this...truly. I will make it for you when we have reached your aunt's where you have a quiet place to rest. I do warn you it is a little painful and unpleasant but it will relive you of having to carry Dannale's child."

I thought his words over carefully. I was not sure what was right, did I have any reason to feel guilty if I did so? There was not truly a child yet.

"I will consider it Kall. Perhaps it would be best. I fear I may just resent the poor child if I did have it." I answered. He kissed my face, hugging me close.

"I fear the death that childbirth can sometimes bring, especially in one as young as you. If I lost you because of what he did my heart would break for good." He said in a slightly tight emotional voice.

"I love you." I replied gently.

"And I you my lioness."

Suddenly our carriage came to a jolting halt and I nearly fell from his lap. I looked at him and his face was tense. His eyebrows knotted and he raised his nose to the soft breeze curling in from the window. "Stay here!" He said firmly as he pushed me off onto the seat and went for the door. I had no time to complain as he flew out the carriage door and it swung shut behind him.

I heard a loud roar but it did not sound like Kall. Men shouted, horses made frightened noises and then Kall's voice rang out. "Steady yourselves and lower your swords!" He barked. I was too curious and worried to stay put.