Goodbye

A week later we were standing with my mother and father saying our tearful goodbyes. "I'm just going for a visit I'll be back." I reassured my mother but she didn't look very convinced.

"I love you, please take care of yourself." She said sniffing back her sadness.

"I will and I love you too Mama." I replied as we hugged.

"She will have no choice but to take care of herself...I will be watching out for her." Said Kall.

My mother smiled at him and to my surprise she opened her arms and stepped towards him. "I know you will Kall, you're very good to my daughter. Thank you." She said as she gave him a squeeze.

He hugged her gently back, his eyes closed and he looked happy. Maybe he was learning to love us all, not just me. "You are very welcome my lady." He softly replied.

She stepped back and brushed a tear from her cheek. "Take care of yourself too Kall." She said with her loving mother smile. He gave her hand a squeeze.

"You remind me just how much I really do miss my family, my brother and son mostly but I had a mother too." He replied, his eyes now moist.

My mother gave him a sympathetic look. "You had a son? How old was he?" She asked.

"He was not quite two." My mother turned to my father with a horrified look.

"Our men killed babies?" She asked, almost a whisper.

"I never ordered such a thing my love, you know I wouldn't. I did not think I had to tell my men not to kill women and children who were not attacking them. I regret that I underestimated the power of bloodlust." He said grimly. My father cast his eyes down in shame, a rare expression on his face.

With that my father stepped up to Kall and offered his hand. "Kall I realize you lost your entire family and I do regret that attack on your people. I see now that you are much more than beasts. I let you live despite sneaking around with my daughter because you truly love her, I see it in your devotion. I certainly saw it when you killed Dannale. I have grown to respect you and your devotion to her. You fought very hard for me during the battle and that I must respect as well. Do not let me down. Continue to make her happy and protect her as you have." He said as he gripped Kall's hand very tightly in his own.

Kall nodded. "I will you have my word. I love her, with all my heart. Both the animal and the human side my lord."

We exchanged our hugs and kisses, well wishes and promises but inevitable a servant came to notify us our carriage was ready. The wagon carrying our luggage would follow close behind and a cavalry of two dozen men at least. Father was a little overprotective I thought but I would indeed be a valuable prize for criminals.