Chapter 14

Peter and I had gone off alone without the others for lunch. We chatted about training and what jobs we wanted to end up having at the end of everything.

We arrived back in the Training Arena ten minutes early. Around the corner we could here laughter and chatter. We looked at each other in question and went to go see who it was.

It was Christina, Will and Amy. They were all finishing up cleaning knives. "What do we have here!?" I spoke up as I walked towards them with Peter in tow.

"Hahahaha, you guys having fun?" Peter said as he looked at all of them like they were peasants.

I laughed cruelly with him. I was obviously joking around, I wasn't sure if Peter was though.

We all talked for a bit, laughing and cracking jokes before someone came to ruin all the fun.

"What do you two think your doing?"

It was Eric. I turned around to face him, knowing he was referring to Peter and I. I looked him up and down and sighed, showing him how fed up I was with all his little surprise entrances.

"Yo Eric, how you doing?" Peter questioned breezily. Eric gave him a cold look but then replied.

"I'm doing quite well Peter, how about you mate?"

What the fuck? Why can't Eric be nice to me like that. He certainly wasn't being sarcastic.

The two of them continued chatting. I was looking at each of them, frowning in confusion.

"What seems to be the problem Eliza?" Eric asked me as he showed his pearly whites. He wasn't being genuine though.

"Yeah Lize, turn that frown upside down" Peter joked.

Just as he said this I saw Four rounding up the others. "C'mon guys. We better go" I stated.

"Hahaha. Saved by the bell" Eric said meanly. Making me look pathetic.

I narrowed my eyes on him and looked at him like he was so lame. It's kind of my signature look.

We continued training with the punching bags, learning new moves and tricks along the way. You wouldn't think punching motionless bags all day would be so helpful but I already felt like I could beat anyone in a fight using all the moves I had mastered.

At the end of the day Four began pulling us aside and getting us to fight him. He obviously went easy on everyone. When it was my turn to fight him I got straight into it, going for his throat. But he blocked my hand. We continued to fight for a minute longer, but we weren't taking it seriously. We were laughing and smiling at each other as we tried to tackle the other person down. Well, it was mostly me laughing and smiling but still. Finally he stopped and called Tris over. I walked away, my training was finished. Once we had a go against Four we were allowed to leave. But I couldn't really, for I had to fill out my 'punishment'.

I really didn't want to see Eric but I had to, I needed to confront him about Jem. I knew it had to be him who made her look so shaken up.

It was only Peter, Al, Tris, Jem, Matisse and I left. I was glad I would have Matisse with me seeing as she is one of my besties from Amity.

Eric finally rocked up with two other guys.

"Alright, initiates" Eric shouted, "Matisse and Tris follow Anthony up to the roof" he continued while showing the girls who 'Anthony' was.

"Eliza you'll be down here in the initiate Training Arena and Peter and Al, you guys will be in the Dauntless born Training Arena. Josh here will take you there".

"I will be coming around and checking up on each and every one of you" he concluded before he signaled Josh and Anthony to take the others away.

"How come I have to be the one who's alone?" I questioned, trying my hardest not to whine.

"Because there aren't as many guns down here to clean" he stated blankly.

"No, but why is it me that has to do all this alone?" I persisted.

"Listen! Not my choice alright. And plus you won't be alone, you'll have me... Well for some of the time" he said with attitude.

"Oh wow, I'm thrilled" I said impassively as I walked away to the gun station.

As I was walking I noticed that he wasn't following. I turned around slowly, looking at him in confusion, as to why he wasn't coming along to show me what to do. He was just standing there, hands in his jean pockets, genuinely laughing at me. It wasn't a hearty laugh but it was like a laugh that said 'wow, you're impressive'.

I smiled a little, trying not to, as I watched him giggle. "What?" I questioned, trying to be as serious as possible. I don't think it worked out well though. I always laugh or smile when I see other people laugh.

"You're pretty fiery, aren't you?" he responded, still smiling.

"Well... Maybe a little" I said back.

"A little?" he scoffed, surprised at my answer.

I just looked at him awkwardly. Not knowing what to say. Is he starting to warm up to me, like he did with Peter before? I questioned myself. Wow, I am so good.

No one said anything so he walked towards the gun station as I was doing. I walked along with him.

He began explaining to me how the guns worked and how to re shell them.

"I'll watch you re shell a few, but then I have to go check up on the others" he said.

"But I'll come back in time to show you how to clean them" he finished.

"Wow, I never knew there was a certain way to clean guns" I said as I laughed.

"Is that why you guys get us to clean the guns? Because you haven't mastered the ways of 'cleaning a gun'?" I continued blabbering on. Which was a mistake.

His facial expression changed. I was instantly scared. He was glaring at me, like I had just offended him majorly. Oops...

I could tell he was about to say something rude.

"You know... I control those rankings as well. Not just Four" he paused for a little. He looked down then back up to me.

"I wouldn't be surprised if you were ranked below the red line" he finished. Eyebrows raised.

There it is. I thought.

He walked away. "Those guns better be re shelled by the time I get back!" he shouted out.

I watched him walk off. Then I turned to the row of guns, beginning to re shell them.

"So much for the 'warming up to me' concept" I muttered.