Chapter 32

Today was the last day of Stage Two. 

For the past few days we worked on our knife skills and gun skills. We mostly just threw knives at targets as well as shooting targets. But we also were taught tips along the way. For example; the easiest way to hold a gun, how to stand when throwing a knife, how to stand when shooting a gun, how to position yourself so as to not fall from recoil and so on and so on. 

Matisse and Edward had become a 'thing'. They were an 'item'. They were madly in love and everyone knew. 

Jem and Kaden were also kind of an 'item'. Kaden eventually asked Jem to be his girlfriend a couple of days after the commencement of Stage Two. But they aren't allowed to make it official seeing as initiates cannot date members or leaders. Jem always hangs out with Kaden though. After training, at dinner, at breakfast, at lunch. Basically anytime she can see him. It's pretty cute actually. 

I've seen Ace and Amy together a lot. Although Amy has been too worried about passing Stage Two to worry about boys. She said she wouldn't make it past, but I think she could. She was only just above the red line, but Ace and his friends have been helping her after dinner. She's pretty good with the knives, unlike me. But her aiming and shooting isn't too good. From what I have seen, Ace and his friends have been a major help. 

It's ten o'clock. For the past three hours we have been working on knife tactics.  

Four called us to stop and we began heading up to the roof to begin our gun practice. 

Seeing as it was the last day, it was also the day for our personal assessments. Whatever that meant. 

As I fired at the target I hit it each and every time. I was good at this. And I guess I wasn't that bad at knife throwing. So I wasn't too worried about not passing. 

I aimed for the heart of the target. Fire!  I hit it, I hit the bullseye. Christina who was next to me was amazed. 

"How are you so good at this?" she exclaimed. 

I just smiled humbly. Then I heard his voice. My body tensed and at the same time a shiver went down my spine. 

"You seem to be improving majorly. Good job Eliza".

He didn't say much but what he had said definitely boosted my confidence. I was happy with myself. He was impressed with me and I liked that. 

Before we headed off for our break Eric hustled us over to the ranking panel. He pressed a button and it came to life. Just like the time in the Hall. There was twenty five of us and five would be leaving tomorrow. 

I looked up at the panel of rankings...

1 Edward    2 Peter    3 Molly    4 Eliza    5 Drew    6 Matisse    7 Emma    8 Will     9 Jem

10 Christina    11 Meg    12 Blaire    13 Frankie    14 Jason    15 Matt    16 Samantha

17 Jade     18 Wren    19 Amy    20 Tris    21 Al    22 Ben    23 Julia    24 Tess    25 Felix 

Yes! I was fourth. I was quite proud of myself. 

I then saw Christina and Tris huddling over someone. It was Tess. She was crying. She knew she had no chance. Unless she did something beyond amazing in her self assessment. I felt so sorry for her. But I didn't approach her. I didn't want to make her look like some sort of wimp.