Chapter 36

In the morning we were awoken by Four. 

"Meet down in the Pit in ten" he announced thoroughly.

We all began getting ready. I wore black jeans, a long sleeve shirt and the Dauntless jacket. 

We all left the dorm together and made our way to the Pit. We were all still very shocked about last night. I guess it made us realise how dangerous it was to be in Dauntless and that if someone didn't like you it was easy to 'take you out' because of the lack of security and boundaries. 

What annoyed me was that Dauntless had stern rules about 'not drinking when you are going through training' or when you are an initiate. Yet they didn't seem to take a death or someone getting severely injured that seriously at all! 

It really wasn't right. 

When we arrived in the Pit we saw Max, Four and Eric standing around talking. They noticed us walking towards them so they stopped talking and faced us. 

"Initiates" Max welcomed us.  "There is something we need to talk to you about" he continued. 

"As you all know, Edward will no longer be able to continue training..." Four spoke up.

"This means he is momentarily 'out'" Eric continued for Four. 

There were shocked expressions written all over everyones faces. He was the top initiate, yet they were willing to throw him out. 

"We do not know who committed this act but that isn't what we are interested in. We do not have time to deal with this little crime" Max circulated. 

"Wait, you just lost your top initiate and your just gonna-" Tris arced up before getting cut off by Eric. 

"He's not our top initiate anymore"

"He can't continue training... It's as simple as that" Max joined in. 

"At the end of Stage Three if he is seen fit enough to join us he will. But if he isn't... He will be out" Four summarised. 

We all looked around at each other, surprised and shocked that they would give so little consideration to a great and skilful fighter. 

"Everybody needs to watch their backs..." Eric eerily stated, while eying us all. 

It went silent for a bit, as they all watched us. 

"Ok... Your free to take them Four" Max then said with no emotion as he walked away, hands behind his back, Eric in tow. 

Four took us to the fear simulation rooms. 

"Ok, listen up! Each day from now on up until the end of Stage Three we will meet here and work through fear sims. I will be the only one looking on for these sims except for your final fear landscape sim, where all of the Dauntless leaders will look on...' he paused letting that sink in. "Each and every day you will face your worst fears. It is my job to assess you, but it is your job to face these fears and conquer them. Does everybody understand?" 

We all nodded. 

"Ok... Everybody take a seat. I'll start calling you in individually soon" he concluded. 

I was one of the last people to go in. We even had time for our midday break until he got up to me. 

And I was very nervous. At first I thought this would be a piece of cake but then I saw the state in which people were coming out from their sims. People were vomiting, some were shaking or crying, and a few people had fainted.