Chapter 39

"Just make sure you do not show your divergence. You have to get through your fears like a Dauntless would. That is the only way they will let you in and not kill you" Four explained quietly as he escorted me down a long corridor. 

I was so nervous. We were quickly approaching the testing room, I was shaking so much. My life was basically on the line. If I showed any signs of being divergent they would surely pull me out of my sims and kill me. And I guess that is what they would make Eric do. 

We entered the large room and the first thing I noticed was the testing chair. It seemed bigger... But maybe that was just because it was on some sort of pedestal. The next thing I noticed was the high ceilings. Usually Dauntless didn't have any of them. Except for in the Pit. I then noticed the amount of people standing around waiting to watch me in my fear landscapes. There was Eric, Max and a heap of others. Including Jeanine! 

"What's she doing here?" I whispered to Four, tilting my head towards her. 

"Apparently she wants to see how we mark our initiates in our final tests. She says she may be able to show us different and more 'precise' ways of marking, you know, her being Erudite and all" Four commented lowly. 

We walked up to the chair and Four introduced me to Tori. The woman who gave me my first tattoo. 

I sat down in the chair, trying to calm my breathing. 

"That's it. Just try calm down, that's the best thing you can do" Tori said with care as she injected me with the serum. It was all happening so quickly. 

Before I blacked out I looked to my side, where Jeanine, Max and Eric were standing. Jeanine was holding a clipboard and looking directly at me in a freaky kind of way. Eric and Max seemed to be suspiciously talking as they eyed me. 

Okay Lize. Last day of being an initiate... Make the most of it. I told myself before my whole world faded into nothing. 

I woke up in a now familiar dark room. I looked around at the spotlight shining on me and I gulped. I began mentally preparing myself for a world of pain. And I wracked my brain for some sort of game plan. 

I looked around. Seeing all of the creepy people coming for me from the darkness, with all sorts of scary weapons. It was then I saw a beacon of hope. There was a gun lying on the ground behind me, to my right. If I could reach that, I could use it to defend myself. 

My body leapt into action, sprinting for the gun. But just as I jumped into gear I was shot in the leg. Again. 

I collapsed onto the ground in gut-wrenching pain. And that is when they all began to advance closer towards me. Evil, wicked grins written on each of their faces. I panicked, as I continued to pull myself along the ground, closer to the gun. It was about ten metres away. 

As I pulled myself towards it I was stabbed, kicked and shot at. I could hardly bear the pain, but I knew getting to the gun would end the fear. I continued crawling helplessly along the ground. I could feel the blood pouring from my body. But finally I reached the gun, grabbed it and spun around, facing my attackers. But they had disappeared. 

My fear of 'physical pain' was over. 

I stood there, still holding the gun. But I was no longer in pain. I was no longer in a dark room and I was no longer scared. But I was confused. 

All of my family and friends were standing in front of me. I lowered my gun, wondering what kind of fear this was. How can this be a fear. All the people I love in one place? But then I saw the looks each and every one of them were giving me. They looked disgraced and disappointed.