Chapter 19

We all gathered around Four.

"Second Jumper and Thirteenth Jumper in the ring" he said abruptly.

Shit. That was me. But who was I fighting?

I began to make my way towards the ring, while also looking out for someone who was doing the same thing. And that's when I saw him. It was Peter. I was going to be up against Peter! What the hell! Usually boys fight boys and girls fight girls. What's going on?

We stepped onto the mat and gave each other the same worried and confused look.

Peter hesitantly looked towards Eric and Four. "I'm fighting her?" he quizzed. Not sure whether they had mucked things up.

"Yep" Eric said with a trademark grin on his face.

And with that Peter prepared himself by standing in a defensive stance. When I saw him do this I quickly copied. My heart was beating so fast. I had seen him fight before and he was so good and extremely rough. This would be harder than fighting Molly.

Peter quickly leapt at me like a viper. But I jumped to the side, quickly turning to face him again. He then leapt for my feet but I was too quick. I jumped up, not exactly sure of what I was doing but I ended up landing on his back, which was helpful in my favour. I quickly jumped again but this time I landed with two feet on either side of him, so I could sit on top of him and trap his hands and legs. This wasn't as easy as I thought though. As soon as I grabbed his arms he grabbed mine, now the game was in his favour. He rolled me over so I was in-between him and the mat. He was so strong, there was nothing I could do, I kicked and I kicked but that did absolutely nothing and there was no way I could get my hands and arms free. With one hand he held his arms above my head and with the other hand he punched me. He got so many punches in that I was dazed. I was just lying there, I didn't have the mental capacity or the physical capacity to do anything. I saw him look towards Eric and Four and then he looked back towards me and he said something. I didn't really hear what he said but I heard the word 'sorry'... Before my world faded into blackness.

I woke up in a hospital bed, my head hurt like hell. I tried to sit up and the pain intensified, I had to lie back down but I didn't want to. I needed to join the others, I couldn't miss out on anything. I had to prove to Eric and Four that I was better than that. As I began trying to get out of bed, groaning from the sharp pain, I saw Eric walk past and quickly rush towards me saying, "No, no, no you don't". But he said it softly and gently, like he cared about my well being. He quickly grabbed my back and my arm and lowered me back down into the comfort of the bed.

"Nooo. I have to keep training" I whinged. "I can't miss out on anything".

Eric looked at me sweetly. "Training just finished".

"Damn it!" I said, while I put my hand to my head.

As I lay there, worrying about being ranked below the red line I noticed Eric sit forward and place a hand to the side of my forehead. It looked like he was inspecting something. Must've been where I got hit.

"Is it bad?" I questioned worryingly.

"Na, it's not too bad. But it hasn't healed enough for you to go back to the dorm" he stated.

It was quiet for a bit. I couldn't help but think, why he was being so sweet and gentle.

"Why are you being so nice to me all of a sudden?" I questioned curiously.

He just looked at me, then looked away. He looked embarrassed. Eventually he just shook his head and changed into his usual self. Cruel and scary.

I just dropped it and asked him another question.

"Hey Eric, -" I began before he rudely cut me off.

"You just don't fuckin' stop asking' questions do you?!"

I was shocked. What he said actually pained me, all I was going to ask was whether I was above or below the red line. He could tell. He could tell what he had said hurt me so he apologised. But I didn't accept his apology.

I rolled my eyes before saying, "Geez! All I was going to ask was whether I was above or below the red line!!"

"I'm not allowed to tell you that" he said blankly. With that he got up and walked away, without looking back.

I awoke again to a Dauntless nurse sitting me up and putting a tray of food in front of me. "Here you go".

"Thanks" I said back before I began to yawn.

As I was eating and fretting I heard a little bit of commotion outside of the area I was in. Before I could really understand what was being said I saw Four appear from behind the curtain.

"Oh hey" I said surprised.

"Hey Eliza. Are you feeling alright?" he asked.

"Yeah, I actually feel pretty good" I said, realising for the first time.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Well, I just wanted to let you know that if you get dismissed from here later tonight, and you notice no one in the dorm, do not worry. It's because around midnight Eric, a few other Dauntless borns and I will be taking the rest of the initiates somewhere. It's a tradition, and once in a while we let the initiates join in" he filled me in.

"What is it?" I questioned.

"It's where we take them to an area in the city and play an advanced game of 'Capture the Flag'" he responded.

"Will I be allowed to join in?" I asked, feeling rather excited.

"Well, your not supposed to but you look much better than before, and your wound seems to be fully healed" he said.

"So I'm allowed to come!?" I excitedly ask.

He thought for a bit. Leaving me waiting for an answer.

"I'll have you dismissed from here around eleven, so by the time I come to wake everybody up you'll be there" he finally informed. "But Eliza. You must understand, I'm not allowed to be doing this. All people injured today are not allowed to participate, but I think it would be good for you to come along".

"Thank you so much Four. I've been really bored in here" I say.

"Just make sure Eric doesn't see you" he warned before leaving and closing the curtain behind him.