Chapter 28: The Gala

Alex

Tonight was the night. March 16th, I am standing in front of my mirror in a black gown.

It was pretty. I had to admit, but this gala wasn't for me.

I would like to stay home and read, eat whatever I want, watch Netflix.

But mom wanted me to attended for "family purposes". She hasn't told me why but I'll find out.

The Gala is being hosted at a banquet down town of where we live. Famous lawyers, business men and women from around globe were coming to attend.

This is the annual Spring Gala my father and Uncle Anthony use to run. My mother wanted to stop it but Anthony said no. "This is one thing everyone remember him as. Each year we have a moment of silence for him." He said.

It took while but my mother agreed. She doesn't like to plan events but this one she loved. It took her over a year to get everything perfect from the lights to the last grain of rice on everyone's plate.

"Alex!"

"Yes mom?"

She opened the door and smiled at my dress, "You look beautiful honey. You're going to enjoy tonight I promise. Andrew will be there."

I groaned, "And that is supposed to make me feel better? We're going to bicker all night."

Being my mother she ignored my complaint and kept her smile, "I'm sure you guys will get along." Then she left.

I curled my hair and pinned my hair to one side then put on a ruby-red shade of lipstick. "I'll stay for an hour and that's it," I told myself.

I lifted my dress and started going down the stairs to see my mom fixing Carlos bow tie. "Why can't I just wear a tie? I can breathe." He complained.

"It's a Gala. My Gala and you must look perfect." She grunted while fixing his bow tie.

I stifle a laugh but quickly covered my mouth. Every year this conversation happens, and every year my mother always wins.

The door bell rang and Carlos gotten out of moms grip and ran to the door. "It should be the Carter's!"

He opened the door and he was right. The Carters were at the door smiling. Aunt Andrea was in a red dress with white pearls around her neck. Uncle Anthony was in a tuxedo with a black bow tie.

Mom came to the front and  glanced over at Uncle Anthony's bow tie, "See Carl, Anthony can do his!"

Uncle Anthony cleared his throat. "Umm.. Actually Andrea did it for me."

We all burst out into laughter. I was still standing at the last step when I heard a whistle. I followed the sound to see Alec looking very similar to his father. "My word, you look amazing. It's a great transformation when I saw you yesterday in your pj's" Alec made a disgust look and shook his head.

I smacked him over the head, he let out a groan.

"Awwh baby are you okay?"

I swiftly turned my head to Alec who was staring at me with guilt. "It's a Gala I wanted someone to--"

"Someone to what? Mingle?! You at least take someone home with you every time! You had to bring-"

Before I could finish my sentence I was attack in a tight hug. "Oh Alexandra I missed you so much!" Savannah cried out.

  Let me explain to my lovely people who is following along; Savannah or should I call her "The annoying parrot" is Alec's girlfriend. Alec is dating this parrot for three months now and he thinks that she is the one.