Chapter 36: This is The End

Alex

I was passed a package that hold my cap and gown. One of the teacher advisors at my school helped each student put on theirs.
She put my tassel on the right side of the cap. "Tassel on right, once you graduate bring it to the left." Then she scurried away on to the next graduate.

I walked towards the Gymnasium and saw all the parents of the graduate we have today, trying to find the best seats to get a good look on this exciting day. I notice both Dad and grandma fighting over which seat is the best seat to see their daughter graduate.
I chuckled a bit. Even though he was gone for years, they still bicker the same way when I was 8 years old. I also see Andrew's parents following my dad to find a seat, quietly laughing at the scene in front of them.

"Everywhere we go your grandmother needs to find the perfect seat."
I turned around and notice Andrew in his cap and gown.

"Yes, but this is a important day for her." I replied

He took hold of my head,  "I know, come on we have to go line up," He les me out of the gymnasium towards the room beside the stage, where the graduates are waiting to be called. I see Andre and Leah  talking and holding hands with each other. Would Andrew and I get to that point? Does he even think we're a thing?

With everything going on Andrew and I never establish what we have going on at the moment. Are we together? or just friends? Maybe we're in between...

  Besides who knows where he is going next fall.

The vice principal comes inside the room and claps his hands loudly. "Okay class of 2016!! are you ready to graduate?!"

The seniors roared and started to line up. "I'll see you at the end," Andrew said then kiss me on the cheek.  He walked down the line.

   Why am I feeling this way? I could just be anxious about graduating? Yes that could be it, I am graduating today and started a brand new chapter in my life, involving all my friends and family, including Andrew. No matter what happens today, I will be a high school graduate and becoming a young adult.

  The line started to move out of the room towards the gymnasium where all the parents were standing or sitting down watching each graduate walk around the perimeter of the gym. I could see Dad with his camera and my grandmother trying to hold back her tears. I also see the Carter's family behind them giving me the thumbs up and waving their hands to get my attention.  I rolled my eyes and continue to walk around the gym with my classmate. We arrive where the graduate will be sitting for the ceremony. I was in the fourth row and Andrew was in the first row.

We sat down and listen to speeches from our principal, vice principal, the Trustee of the school board, and so on. The speeches were okay but not my cup of tea at the moment. I just wanted my diploma and to get out of here. After the speeches it was the valedictorians turn to come up to the podium and give his speech.

He cleared his throat. "Hello parents, teachers, graduates. My name is Andrew Carter and I am your valedictorian for the class of 2016,"

  Yep, Andrew Carter as the Valedictorian? I wasn't the only one who was surprise. Uncle Anthony thought the principal was pulling a humorous joke. Until they went to the school and realize through out Andrew silliness he was a smart kid and contribute a lot to the school within the past four years he attend. We all teamed up and helped Andrew write a pretty good speech. We did not want him to flop on stage in front of hundred of parents! We care about him don't we?