Why?

Quidditch contest -
James POV
And zoom! Almost the whole school was there.The whole crowd was betting on me and that's saying something except a few first years but who cares?

But because of one person my life changed. Even Lily Evans was supporting me. My heart started beating quickly. So Harry really had rejected her and she was really angry with him.

James felt incredulously happy.. and then cursed himself for feeling happiness over someone's sadness. He was a good guy.. he couldn't.. but if it meant he would have a chance with Evans..

As he watched her fiery red hair swaying because of the wind, he sweared to himself that he would win the race if not anything..

If he won, surely Lily would agreed to date him.
Of course he would win but he decided to be cautious. Whoever captured the snitch first won. And when the game began to say he was shocked was the least.

Harry Granger was amazing at quidditch. James had finally found an equal in quidditch. Now he really had to win. For Lily. If he lost he would be a loser. His reputation would be gone. Whatever hopes he had for Lily would vanish. His life would be hell.

Harry POV
After ten to fifteen minutes of searching the snitch with James. The crowd could see Harrys potential. Now, half the crowd was cheering Harry. James had even tried fooling him by taking long leaps but come on! Duh!

Actually James had better strides than him but harry had better moves. They were equally matched. Finally they saw the snitch. At the same time. At the same place. And they flew. At high speed past each other. But harry was one pace ahead. But would this really solve matters?

Would this really be the right thing to do..?

James POV
And as they swerved and dived for the snitch a hand stretched. And I knew harry would win but at the last moment-

Harry slowed down and closed his hand and James got the snitch.

Everyone started cheering and hooting for James. Even Lily came up to him and said 'Well done, James' and hugged him.

His crush called him by the first name. And hugged him. His goal for life. But he felt guilty. He knew it and so did harry. Harry had deliberately lost.
As he partied he wondered and wondered. Just one thing. Why, Harry? Why? Just why?
Finally at evening he found a note in his dorm that made him think.

Dear James,
You maybe wondering why I let you win deliberately. I rejected Lily for you. I advised her to be with you since I know that she meant the world to you. Finally when I had almost won, I thought. I glanced at Lily and saw her cheering for you.
If you lost she would think of you as a loser which you are not. Your reputation would be damaged.
Heck, I may even have replaced you as quidditch captain. But I didn't want to ruin your life or make your life hell.
I even know about your ex-plan to bully me in the forbidden forest. Sirius understood that I was not evil like you guys expected.
I made Lily realize who she really needed. I hope you take good care of her. For your welfare I made myself look like a loser in lilys eyes.
A pathetic loser. Severus Snape is a good guy. Make amends with him. Stop bullying. Make yourself the hero in lilys eyes. Do not trust Pettigrew. Tell this to Sirius and Remus. You can trust Sirius and Remus with your life but never Pettigrew.

He finally knew. Harry Granger was the best. And finally he understood - Lily had rejected him because of his arrogance.

He decided never to bully anyone but though he regretted his misbehaviour with Snape but Snape would never make amends with him after all that.

Though he was confused about the pettigrew part. But now he trusted harry. He trusted harry Granger with his life.

[Edited]