Chapter 9

"What are you doing here?" I ask James, impatiently.

"I wanted to talk to you." He says.

I grab his arm and pull him into the hallway so we don't wake my parents.

"There's nothing for us to talk about." I tell him bluntly.

"There's a lot to talk about. Go for a walk with me?" He asks, hopefully.

"Fine." I say, grabbing my jacket from the room and following him outside. We walk around the garden.

"I want to tell you how sorry I am about rejecting you all those years so. You have no idea how much it hurt to watch you go and I realised that I had just made the biggest mistake of my life." He tells me, sounding genuine.

"It's a nice apology but it's not going to be that easy. You can't just day you're sorry for the pain you caused." I tell him.

"I know. I don't expect you to forgive me that easily. But I'll spend as long as it takes making it up to you. Just give me a chance to try." He pleads, stopping me and taking my hand.

"Why would I agree to that?" I ask him, raising an eyebrow.

"Because I know you still feel that connection. It's as strong as it was before. I don't think we should ignore those feelings. Do you?" He asks, looking me in the eye.

"You have one chance. If you mess up then I'm done. No other chances. This. Is. It." I tell him, saying every word slowly.

"Did you say yes? Thank you, thank you, thank you." He says, lifting me up and spinning in circles.

I laugh and wrap my arms around his neck. He puts me down and wraps his arms tightly around me. I smile and wrap my own arms around him.

He plants a kiss on my forehead.

"I'll talk to you soon. I've gotta go plan our first date." He says, hugging me again and practically skipping away.

I smile as I watch him skip away. I feel someone watching me and look over to see none other then Ryder. He smiles and I'm about to smile back when I realise about the conversation I had with the Moon Goddess not to mention the conversation I just had with James.

I turn away and head back inside and into my parents hospital room. When I walk in I find Claudia, Connor and Elliot waiting.

I sigh and sit down at the desk but turn the chair to face them. They grab some seats and sit down in front of me.

"Okay. Go for it. Let it out." I tell them, leaning back in my chair.

"We actually came to apologise. You were completely right. It wasn't our decision it was yours." Connor says, looking at the other who nod in agreement.

"No need guys. I know you guys just want to protect me and I love you for that. Besides I ended up making a choice that you guys probably won't like." I tell them, fiddling with my hands.

"What?" They all ask in unison.

"James and I were talking just before I saw you guys. And he asked me to give him another chance. And I've decided to do it, but on my terms." I tell them, knowing what their reaction will be.

"Wait what?! Are you crazy?!" They all say together. It's actually kind of creepy because they said it at the exact same time.

"Yes maybe. I've told him that anymore mistakes and I'm gone. No questions asked. There are no more chances after this." I tell them, taking a deep breath.

They sit in silence, just looking at me.

"Why would you do that?" Claudia asks, breaking the silence.

"Because I can't deny the mate connection even if I wanted to. But I don't. He was young and stupid and he has admitted that. Everyone deserves another chance. Even him. I need to do this. I need to see if I can actually have a future with him. And if he screws up again like I said, I'm gone." I tell them calmly.

"Okay. If that's what makes you happy. Okay." Elliot says, leaning over and hugging me. Soon enough the other's are joining in on the hug.

"Thanks guys." I say when we pull apart.

"You're our best friend. We want the best for you." Connor pipes up.

"I know. And I love you all for it." I tell them.

"Well we're gonna go. We'll see you tomorrow?" Elliot asks.

"Yep. Bye." I say, hugging them all again then watching them leave before turning back to my school work.

"You're still going?" I hear my dad's voice say.

I look over to see both him and my mum are awake.

"That I am." I tell them, smiling at both of them.

"Wow. Our girl always was a genius." Mum says.

"Still is I see." Dad says, winking at me.

We sit in silence for a second.

"You guys look pale and tired. Go back to sleep. I'll still be here when you wake up." I tell them, moving my chair over so I'm sitting in between them with my feet propped up on the side of my dad's bed and my book on my lap.

They both chuckle and pretty much fall asleep as soon as they settle down again.

The next time they wake up which is about an hour later, I decide to head back to my room to get some sleep.

"I'll be back to visit tomorrow. Go back to sleep." I tell them, kissing them both on the forehead.

"Bye honey." My mum says.

"Bye angel." My dad says.

I give them both a wave then take all my school books and head up to my room.

I put my books on my desk and change into my pjs. I brush my teeth and wash my face then put a French plait in my hair.

I walk over and slip into bed, pulling the sheets and duvet up.

I plug my phone into the charger and flick off the light on my bedside table.

I wake up early in the morning and go out for a run in my wolf form. After I go for a run I head inside and find Ryder. He smiles and waves and I sigh and run upstairs to my room.

I change into my black maxi skirt and a crop top. I slip on my black sandals and apply a layer of eyeliner. I run a brush through my hair and slip on my black sandals.

When I get down the stairs I'm relieved to see that Ryder's not there. I head into the kitchen and grab some cereal for breakfast. I take a seat at the bench and quickly eat my cereal.

"Hey." I hear a voice say. I turn around to see none other then Ryder.

"Hi." I say, picking up my now empty bowl and walking over to the dish washer.

"You okay? You've been acting a little strange." Ryder says, picking up an apple and taking the seat at the bench that I had been sitting at.

"I'm fine." I say, sending him a fleeting smile before walking out of the room.