Chapter 17

Ryder's P.O.V

Later that night

It's around two in the morning when I hear a knock on my bedroom door. I groan and stand up. I slip out from under my warm blankets and walk slowly over to the door, rubbing my eyes while doing so.

I open the door and find an unexpected sight.

"Kara. What are you doing here?" I ask her, crossing my arms and leaning against the doorway.

"Can we talk?" She asks me.

"Oh yes because we've been talking soo much over the past couple days." I say, rolling my eyes.

"Please." She says, sighing and looking down at her hands then back at me.

"Fine. Come on in." I say in a sarcastic voice. I step out of the way and let Kara pass me.

She walks in and stands awkwardly in the middle of the room, I almost laugh but refrain myself and instead walk past her and sit down on my bed.

"So what is so important that you had to walk into my room at three in the morning and insist we talk?" I ask, folding my arms.

"It's about our conversation. The one from last week." She says, leaning against the wall and crossing her arms.

"Funnily enough I could guess what conversation you meant seeing as we haven't exactly had many conversations lately." I say, rolling my eyes.

"Can you please stop with the sarcasm. I just want to talk." She says, sounding frustrated.

"What sparked this sudden need to talk?" I ask her, raising an eyebrow.

She goes silent at this question.

"Oh I get it. You want a rebound. James showed his true colours didn't he." I say, throwing my hands up.

"Yes okay he did show his true colours like you always knew would happen but that's not why I'm here." She says, sighing.

"I doubt that's true. Well I won't be a rebound so you might as well leave." I say, standing up.

"Stop. I'm here because I realised I could have saved myself from the pain. I made a stupid decision." She says, standing straight but staying near the wall.

"And you came to me, why? Shouldn't you be talking to your friends about this." I say, walking over and sitting back down on my bed.

"This isn't about them though. It's about you. I was willing to give a smug asshole a chance but not you. I refused to give a guy who only had my best interests at heart, a chance." She says, looking at me sadly. I sigh.

"You made your choice." I say.

"And my choice was wrong." She says.

"What do you want me to say? That I'll take you back like this never happened?" I ask her in disbelief.

"That would be good but you won't. I'm not saying take me back. I'm saying let's go back to how we were before all of this. When we were friends and you sat with us at lunch. I'm not asking you to dive into a relationship. I'm asking you to be friends and see where this goes." She says, walking over so she's standing in front of me. She kneels down and looks me in the eye.

"Let me think about it." Is all I say.

She smiles tightly and nods.

"Okay. I'll leave you alone now. Good night." She places a hand on my clasped ones then stands up and heads out of my room. I watch her leave and listen to the door close quietly.

I sigh and crawl back under the covers of my bed. I fall asleep thinking about Kara and the conversation we just had.

When I wake up everything around me is unfamiliar. Even what I'm wearing is unfamiliar. I seem to be wearing a loose white button up shirt and a pair of what look like jeans but are far more comfortable. I look down at my feet and find them bare.

"Hello Ryder." I hear a clear and calm sing song voice say.

I turn around and see a woman in a white dress with no sleeves and a silver tiara resting on her perfect brown curls that tumble down her back. Her face is defined but in a gentle way.

"You know who I am I assume." She says, smiling kindly at me.

"The moon goddess." I say quietly.

"Yes. I have many forms but as I told your mate this is my favourite. The dress changes more then I do." She says, chuckling.

"My mate?" I ask her.

"Kara of course." She says like it's the most obvious thing in the world,

"She's all but rejected me." I say, sighing.

"Come sit child." She says, gesturing to the rope swing hanging from a large tree.

I walk over with her and we both sit down since it's big enough for two.

"Did you already forget about your most recent conversation?" She asks lightly.

"She wants me to just take her back." I say.

"I hear all and see all child. And I don't think that's what she wants to happen." She says, looking at me.

"I don't know what to say to her." I say, turning to look at her.

There's a pause.

"What do you want?" She asks me. I tilt my head in confusion.

"What do you mean?" I ask her.

"Do you want to be with her?" She asks me.

"More then anything. She's my mate." I say without a second thought.

"Then why are you reluctant to give this a go?" She says.

"I don't know. I don't know how she feels about me." I say, groaning.

"She cares about you. She's as nervous about getting hurt as you." She says, smiling kindly at me.

"You've talked to her?" I ask her.

"Yes. I brought her here just after she found out about the two of you and I'll tell you the same thing I told her. Without the possibility of pain there can be no pleasure. No true happiness. I paired you two together because I knew that against all odds and despite what others might say and do, you will always end up together. Because you fit together like puzzle pieces. I can't make you choose her or give her a chance but I can tell you why I put the two of you together." She says.

"Which is?" I ask her.

"You two are alike but different. You deserve each-other's kindness and loyalty. But mostly strength. There is strength in you where there is weakness in Kara. And vice versa. You just need to find that strength. Because together you would run the most loyal and respected pack in the world." She explains.

The image starts fading.

"I'm afraid that's all the time we have. Consider what I've said and make the choice that you want to make. I have faith it will be the right one. Good bye my child." She says, placing her hand on mine and smiling at me until the image completely vanishes and I open my eyes.

I look around and see I'm back in my room. I sigh and think about what the Moon Goddess told me.

Should I accept Kara's offer or move on?

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

Hey guys. Here's another chapter. Tell me what you think and who's P.O.V the next chapter should be in. And what do you recon? Should Ryder accept Kara's offer. Let me know what you think in the comments. By the way the photo above is of the woods where the Moon Goddess and Ryder talk. Comment and vote. Thanks x