Chapter 26

Kara's P.O.V

I storm off after my argument with Ryder and end up downstairs in the kitchen.

"Oh Kara. You're just the person I wanted to see." I hear someone say.

I turn around to find none other than Travis.

"What's up?" I ask him, leaning against the bench.

"I was wondering if we could have a talk. Somewhere a little more private?" He asks me.

"Yea sure. How about we go to the Alpha office. It's more private up there." I say, turning and leading the way to the office.

I sit behind the desk and he sits in the seat across the desk.

"So what's up?" I ask him, leaning forward and resting my elbows on the desk.

"I have a proposition to make that could help both of our packs." He states, leaning back in his chair.

"What would that be?" I ask him, resting my chin on my palm.

"Joining of our packs."

"How would we do that?"

"Marriage. The two of us get married."

I pause and gape at him, slowly sitting up straighter in my chair. "Marriage. You want us to get married?"

"Yes. I think it would be good for the futures of both of our packs. Think about it. Joining two big packs to create the largest pack in America."

"I see where you're coming from Travis but this is a big decision to make. I mean this is our future."

"I know. And I know I have just sprung this on you. But I think it's something you should seriously consider."

"I'll think about it I promise."

There's a knock at the door and I stand up.

"Come in."

Carlene and Oliver step through the door.

"The both of you are actually exactly who we were hoping to see." Oliver says, closing the door behind them.

Both of them come to stand to the side of the desk and look between Travis and I.

"What's going on guys? You're both looking very serious." I ask them, turning my chair so I'm facing them.

"We found your father's diary." Oliver says.

"I knew you were looking for it but what has that got to do with anything?" I ask them, frowning.

"It says the real reason your parents left. And a proposition that was made when you were a child." Carlene says, looking at Travis then at me.

"And?" I ask.

"Travis' parents left the pack after the proposition of marriage between the two of you was denied. They decided that if the marriage wouldn't go through, then they would overthrow your parents to become head of this pack." Oliver tells me.

"What? How did I not know this?!" I ask them.

"It was covered up. Your parents still cared a lot about them so no one was told, no records were made, and they left with their reputations in tact." Carlene explains.

"Did you know about this?" I ask, turning on Travis.

"Yes." He says, looking down at his hands which are resting in his lap.

"So you lied to me." I say, sitting up straight.

"Yes. But please let me explain." He says, holding his hands up.

"No. I think I've done enough listening for one day." I say.

"Kara wait. These are his parents sins to carry, not his! Listen to what he has to say then make a decision." Carlene says, laying a hand on my shoulder.

"Fine." I say, leaning back in my chair.

"I knew about the proposal and why we left because my father brought it up just after we got the news of your parents passing. He told me everything and said that an opportunity has come. He told me I had to come down here and convince you to marry me so that we could join our packs. Essentially told me to woo you and convince you this was the right idea." Travis explains, leaning forward a little.

There's silence before Travis continues his story.

"I know it was wrong. Kara I loved you but when I came back I realised that I love you as a sister. That's how I knew this was all wrong. I didn't think I had a choice. He's got me under his thumb. But I don't want to be. Not anymore, not after he made me do this to you."

"Then don't be under his thumb." I say.

"I'm not going to be. Not anymore. I'm going to step down from my position and leave the pack. Become a rogue if I have to."

"What made you tell me now aside from being found out?"

"I want to move on from this. Get away from him. But also because I've seen you and Ryder together. I know you're mates. I can see how much you care for each other. I realise now that I'm getting in the way of the two of you getting together. In fact I think I'm just making things a lot worse."

I say nothing. I know he's right.

"So I'm going to go back to my pack, step down from my position and leave. I'm sorry for everything." He says, standing up and heading to the door.

"Travis." I call to him just as his hand touches the door nob.

"If you do leave your pack and need somewhere to go. The doors are always open here. You could become a part of this pack." I tell him in a soft voice.

"Thank you." He says then leaves the room.

I turn to Carlene and Travis as the door closes.

"Thank you both for looking in to it despite not telling me. I appreciate it. It showed me the truth no matter how much I wish it wasn't really true." I tell them.

"We'd do it all over again to make sure you are safe." Carlene says.

I send her a small smile.

"I need a little time to think. But I was wondering if I could have my father's journal. I would just like to read it." I tell them, standing up from my chair.

"Of course. Here." Oliver says, handing me the leather bound journal.

"Oh and this is also yours." Carlene says, handing me the key I had given to them.

"Thank you." I say, taking the key and clasp the chair around my neck. I then turn around and leave the room. I head straight down the stairs and outside. I walk until I reach mum and dad's graves.

I sit down between the two graves and place the book on my lap. I carefully undo the ties and open the book.

There across the pages is my dad's familiar sprawled writing detailing his day to day life.

A few tears roll down my face as I read.

<><><><><><><><><>

Hey guys. So as you can see this was a bit of a loaded chapter but I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know if you did. What's going to happen with Kara and Ryder now? What's going to happen with Travis? Let me know what you think is going to happen in the next chapter. Vote and comment. Thanks x